Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Scarab
Looking At 80's Scarab 1 - Tips? >

Looking At 80's Scarab 1 - Tips?

Notices

Looking At 80's Scarab 1 - Tips?

Old 11-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking At 80's Scarab 1 - Tips?

I read one post on here that said to look out for transom rot. Any tips on how to do that and where to look for it? Any other things I should be looking out for on these boats? We've had the same boat in our family since 1983 (passed down from my Dad to me) so I'm not too familiar with anything but the Glassmaster I've got.

Thanks.

John
Old 11-02-2010, 09:34 AM
Registered

I just bought a 1984 34' twin 454 this summer, when I went to look at it, even before I heard the motors start, I went to town with a hammer on the transom and stringers, it was rock solid. Early in the life of this boat, the swim platform was removed, and holes were filled and sealed, holes allows water, then rot, you get the picture. I was able to get to alot of the stringers by the hatches in the floor. If it was well taken care of, shouldn't be a problem.

Best I can offer you right now....but i love my Scarab, its like a camper on the water
Old 11-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Registered

From the pictures it looks like it was well taken care of. You didn't take a regular steel hammer to the transom did you? Maybe a plastic dead blow or rubber mallet? Tapping on the outside should give me the info I need I would guess. What kind of noise am I looking for as a good sign? How about as a bad sign? I'm hoping to get out there next week to look at it and I've still got to make up my mind if I even want another I/O or if I'm going to go to something a little more geared to the lake here like a 21 foot Checkmate with a big ole outboard on it.

John
Old 11-03-2010, 08:28 AM
Registered

LOL figure of speech, it wasn't a big hammer. It was steel cause if its rotted, i wanna know. Goodluck
Old 11-03-2010, 04:33 PM
Registered

Thanks. I figured it wasn't a 5lb sledge or anything but I mainly wanted to make sure it wasn't a plastic or rubber one. So you tapped lightly on the outside?
Old 11-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Registered

Outside/inside, stringers, floor. Mine was solid, you will know when u hit a weak point, and if you use a heavier hammer on a stringer that's rotted good, it will crumble.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:44 PM
Registered

OUCH! Thanks for the input. I went down to look at a Checkmate today that was in amazing shape. I'm hoping to check out the Scarab next week.