Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Scarab
Slalom skiing behind a 22' Scarab? >

Slalom skiing behind a 22' Scarab?

Notices

Slalom skiing behind a 22' Scarab?

Old 12-01-2010, 12:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slalom skiing behind a 22' Scarab?

Looking for some input here. On the hunt for a boat, and one of 3 we're interested in is a '96 Scarab 22 with a 454 and Bravo 1. We're avid slalom skiers and the boat will be used as a general purpose runabout on a large inland lake that gets a 1-2' chop by mid-morning and often has whitecaps by mid-day. I know this boat would be the best of the three where rough water and handling is concerned, I'm just curious what it's like to slalom behind one. Not looking for tournament ski boat styles wakes, but also don't like the idea of a huge wake common to a lot of stern drives. With a performance based hull like this, can you trim out the boat at 30 mph such that it gives you a reasonable wake to slalom behind? I'm assuming we could prop it for great holeshot and acceleration at the expense of top end. Any other concerns on one of these for how we want to use it?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:38 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That was my first "new" boat back in '94. I think it would be a great boat for that. I had a ton of fun with it. Handles great. I'm not a skier so I can't comment on the wake but I think it would work great. Good luck
Old 12-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I think it would be fine, we are in the same position, pretty much the same size boat, probably a bit heavier. We slalom mostly, bring it to 30+ trim it out, and ski a short line. I usually ski a 45 or 50 foot line so the wake is pretty flat and only a few feet wide and you can also slow it down and go wakeboarding. Of course it is not going to be tournament style, but it will do the job.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:55 AM
Registered

I had a 96 22' with 454/Bravo a few years ago...you may be lookign at my old boat as I here its for sale. Anyway, the wake is definitely not huge. I don't see any problem with slalom skiing behind it. We had 3 blade Mirage 23P and 25P props. The 23 got on plane a lot faster than the 25, but banged the rev limiter on the big end.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Registered

How are these things climbing onto plane? I'm not used to this heavy of a runabout, but was assuming I could prop down enough to get a strong launch out of the hole and still hit 50-55 mph for top end at WOT? Feasible to get all that as well as a somewhat efficient cruising speed somewhere around 35mph?
Old 12-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

my boat is 3500lbs loaded, with a 5L 260hp. we spin a 19p 4 blade, and it works pretty well. it is not the fastest, but if you are a descent skier, hold your breath and hold on, it will get you up.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by maverick2
How are these things climbing onto plane? I'm not used to this heavy of a runabout, but was assuming I could prop down enough to get a strong launch out of the hole and still hit 50-55 mph for top end at WOT? Feasible to get all that as well as a somewhat efficient cruising speed somewhere around 35mph?
With the 23P planing was pretty good(25 took quite a bit longer). Still hit 60 MPH+ with the 23 bumping the limiter. I believe our cruise speed was 38 MPH according to the speedo.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a 1996 22 scarab and had a blast with it. I slalomed skied on it often. The wake is not bad at all . Actually I thought it was much better than my friends older Ski Nautique. I also had the 454 and it is a little heavy in the stern and getting on plane. Especially if you have people in the back seat. Tabs would help that problem. I was running a 25P Mirage Plus prop.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:33 PM
Registered

my boat is 3500lbs loaded, with a 5L 260hp. we spin a 19p 4 blade, and it works pretty well. it is not the fastest, but if you are a descent skier, hold your breath and hold on, it will get you up.
My 48-yr old shoulders won't hack that anymore. I'll gladly give up 10 mph on top if I can get a good hole-shot.

I had a 1996 22 scarab and had a blast with it. I slalomed skied on it often. The wake is not bad at all . Actually I thought it was much better than my friends older Ski Nautique.
I like the sounds of that. I was hoping this style of hull wouldn't be too bad.

I also had the 454 and it is a little heavy in the stern and getting on plane. Especially if you have people in the back seat. Tabs would help that problem.
Does installation of a hydrofoil (Stingray, etc...) seem to help the Scarab in that regard? Did wonders on a 19' sterndrive runabout...
Old 12-02-2010, 10:56 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I used a Hydofoil on a 20' Baja I owned and it does work well for skiing. I don't think I would put it on the Scarab though. I think you would be better trying a 4 blade prop in the 22 to 24 pitch range. That would get you out of the hole , and the boat will handle better all around. It will probably be a little slower though , low 60's
Mine ran 68 to 70 GPS with the 7.4LX EFI/MPI 330 hp. Later dropped in a 502 MPI and it ran 72-74 GPS. Same 25 pitch labbed Mirage Plus prop. I tried lots of props. The boat handled so much better in 1 1/2 to 2 ft chop with the 4 blade.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.