Scarab Help >

Scarab Help

Notices

Scarab Help

Old 04-13-2011, 02:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scarab Help

Hi Folks, I am new to your Web Sight..So far I have received quite a bit of helpful info..Here is my problem I inherited a 1986 Scarab 400 as a project for a friend of mine. Boat appears to be all there, problem is the boat has been worked on and torn apart by several other people..who I would say didn't have any idea what was going on..Trying to get some electrical diagrams, tech specs etc.
boat has twin big block Chevy motors with Merlin Heads, Twin Kaama Surface drives, one missing a prop..Got stolen from yard..

Basically what I would like to find out is it really worth restoring back to the boat it was or should I just part it out..Motors are healthy, like I said the boat seems to be all there. I will be glad to post some pictures of what I have , just not sure how to post pics?? Any info or suggestions on which way to go on this project would be greatly appreciated...Also where I can locate a prop and a set of boots and ant Tech info for Kaama Surface Drives.

Thanks Scotman
Old 04-16-2011, 12:42 AM
Registered

Default Scarab Pictures

Here are some pictures of this Scarab Project I hope it will raise some curiosity about this boat
Attached Thumbnails Scarab Help-scarrab-boat-001.jpg   Scarab Help-scarrab-boat-005.jpg   Scarab Help-scarrab-boat-010.jpg  

Scarab Help-scarrab-boat-003.jpg  
Old 04-16-2011, 05:42 AM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

Looks like a cool project. There has been previous discussion on availability of parts for Kaama drives. If you use the "search" feature you will be able to check those out and find some leads.

Good Luck.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sweet boat good luck with the restoration .
Old 04-16-2011, 12:17 PM
Registered

Thanks Guys, I did a quick search back , looked like the posts were pretty old...I will keep trying
Old 04-16-2011, 03:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

It looks like it is in good shape. Someone put some ti,e into it with all the powder coated railings. But realize that you will never get back what you put into it money wise. Like all boats of that era, make sure the stringers and transom are in good shape. What ever your budget is for the boat, double it, because in putting back together someone elses project there will be a LOT of little things you did not account for.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Scot , How far away are you from being able to put this boat back together and running it ths summer? I know you need a few things; is there any thing major that you have to do to drop her in and run it ????If you can get it running and take a few shake down runs it would give you an idea of what you might need do do her up really nice....... Nothing is cheap but you will have a great looking boat with a possible min. of repairs ...

JIM
Old 04-16-2011, 04:07 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Very Nice Looking from the pictures. Seems like most of the work is internal. Would love to know how well the surface drives work, they have always intrigued me.
Aaron
Old 04-16-2011, 10:45 PM
Registered

Well We are having the carbs done this week...Still looking for boots for the drives..Some Dirty S.O.B. stole one of the props..but other than some unsure other folks contributions to this boat I think maybe We can possibly fire the motors in the very near future...I am in dire need of some Tech info on Kaama Drives been too many years since I have been around Them...I will post pics of our progression...P.S. to the other gent who replied...Transom and stringers are very sound ..boat sat on dry land for quite some time..probably to our advantage...Thank you Everyone for your interests in our project..Any tips or Whatever Please Shoot them Along...Scotman
Old 04-17-2011, 01:21 AM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by scotman
I am in dire need of some Tech info on Kaama Drives been too many years since I have been around Them
From what I remember reading about Kaama drives. The bearings, seals and other components can be bought at places like Napa and such. They were not custom components. The hardest component seems to be finding the boots.

The drive was designed by Weismann. "Shifter" on the board is Pat Weismann.

If you have any questions specifically about the drive post them in the drive section you will get better results. I may not be able to help you with the Tech info on these drives but we do have the knowledge on OSO.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...om-rubber.html

http://www.weismann.net/offshore.html

Now post more pics of the boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.