1998 scarab 22 stops running >

1998 scarab 22 stops running

Notices

1998 scarab 22 stops running

Old 08-04-2011, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 scarab 22 stops running

I have a 98 scarab 22 with a 454 with carb. after about 20 minutes of running it shuts off and is hard to start back. It has done it twice. After the first time i changed the plugs,plug wires, cap, rotor and coil. It is getting plenty of fuel. It only does it on the water. i just let it run for about an hour in the yard and is running fine.but put it under a load shuts off and takes about ten minutes to crank back and will be missing badly.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:21 AM
Registered

Compression/Fuel/Spark is all you need. Shut down after a short run makes me think you replaced a bad coil with a new bad coil. I would try another one.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:38 PM
Registered

So you say that sitting in the yard...it runs fine...but yet when you get it out on the water where its bobbing, and bouncing around...it quits ? Sounds like a fuel problem to me. Something with the delivery system. Tank pickup to carb....check it all sir.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Registered

replace the ignition module and the other black box on the side of the dist. we out today ran good for about 1.5 miles and then all of the sudden shuts off. pull the air cleaner and getting fuel. after about 5 minutes boat cranks back up and is running good about 4200 rpm going back to the dock. gets about 30 feet from dock and quits again. cranks up good again after about 5 minutes and i get it loaded. i am going to try the sensor inside the distributor. when it does quit it doesnt sputter or anything just acts like you turn the key off
Old 08-05-2011, 05:37 PM
Registered

Keep us posted. Seems aweful funny it runs in the yard for an hour....then when you bounce it around...it dies. Lanyard kill switch maybe ? Ignition switch ?
Old 08-07-2011, 10:49 AM
Registered

I got a sensor that is inside the distributor from another member from the board. Went out saturday and it ran fine while we were out on the water. Going go today and take the family ,hopefully that is what the problem was. thanks for all the replys
Old 08-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The same thing just happened to me. The motor ran for 30 minutes, or so, and then died and wouldn't start or would start and shortly die again. The next day it would start and do the same trick. I checked the MSD, it was OK, then checked the pickup in the distributor and it read high ohms, like 2000, which was over the maximum 1400. I replaced it and the motor now runs fine.