Paint Vs Gel Coat ???

Notices

Paint Vs Gel Coat ???

Old 09-20-2011, 10:38 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie
This is exactly what I did. I have gel on the bottom and paint on the top.
generally this is what i try to talk my customers into, even if the bottom of the boat is off white or needs some spot repairs. At the very most i might just blend back off the nose but i really hate to see paint of any kind on the running surface. Paint just cant take the abrasion. Good call on your part, down the road your much better off.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 09-28-2011, 12:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PAINT PAINT PAINT!!!

Awlgrip makes the best marine paint money can buy PERIOD. Its fair from inexpensive but it will look and last damn near as good as the factory gelcoat.. Thats the best advice I can give to you. Find a local painter who is good but affordable. Maybe a guy who paints out of his house and buy this paint. They make all different colors and even have metal flake. Just make sure after you do your sanding and prepping that you wipe down the whole boat with acetone. It will open up the pours in the gelcoat/resin that will absorb the sealer/primer much better. This step right here is often over looked and is the difference between a good paint job and a maaco. Obviously dont paint the bottom, it will chip over time from hitting small debris in the water.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it's worth, my scarab was primed over well scuffed gel with a urethane/catalyst primer, based with sikkens, graphics were done in house of kolor, then clear about 15 coats with the high end ppg. It looks fantastic, but doesn't tolerate any kind of roughness around the corners. Funny thing is the bottom was painted as well, and it's the only part of the boat that hasn't scratched yet.