Fixing up the Scarab. >

Fixing up the Scarab.

Notices

Fixing up the Scarab.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing up the Scarab.

Anybody put decent sound systems in their scarab? If so what speaker do you recommend for woofers. Something that will hold up to the moist environment.

Also wanting ot fix my gauges. They are Gaffrig and a lot of the plastic faces on the gauge are tweaked by the sun. Yellowing and cracking. Can I just replace the plastic face with glass face or do I have to get new gauges?
Old 10-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Registered

I saw a guy listing a scarab 22 on craigslist in the bay area about a year or two ago. He had it done pretty nicely. It was for sale for a while though but it had to JL audio 12's. Which JL are some of the best sub speakers money can buy. For normal people anyways. Kickers are good also. There are many cheap subs like lightening audio that hit really really hard and are very afford able. They just dont last as long.

As far as marine goes.. Its not a sailboat or anything is it? I mean its gona be on a trailer often and when it is taken out it will most likely be in nice weather, right?

So honestly I wouldnt even worry about trying to find a sub that is best with weather. You will have it below anyways and if you attach your amp to your box you could use some type of quick is connect power and audio supply so you can just yank it out when your done. Also would be good security so they don't get jacked.

My best advise is just find some you like the sound of.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:42 AM
Registered

I used car audio pieces and have not had a problem yet. Kicker 6.5's and 12" subs. I have all the electronics in the cabin though (28') which is a pioneer head unit with marine case enclosure and 2 alpine amps.

As far as guages, go I'm redoing my dash this winter with Livorsi. CP Performance (no affiliation) was running a sale on guage packages a while back so that's what I went with.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Registered

If you are set on using non marine specific speakers, get Mamphis Audio. They coat all of the wiring on all of thier speakers. If you are ok with spending a little more, JL has a marine line and one of the best.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Registered

'Memphis' is good stuff, just like JL and some of the others that people have recommended...However, I would recommend doing it like I did and saving yourself a whole bunch of money....I have a lot of no name stuff in my scarab and the sound is incredible...I originally started with 2 clarion 10" marine subs on the outside and 3 Sony Explod subs on the inside....Inside sounded amazing, outside kept bottoming out...so instead of names, I looked at RMP watts and found a pair of Boss 12" marine subs that were rated at 4x times the power of the Clarions, in fact they were rated higher then comparable JL's and Memphis's and the reviews were coming in that they were legit...I put those outside with the clarions (so 4 total outside and the sound was completely transformed to bottoming out subs to just crankin bass)...my set up and cost was as such....
2 12" Boss subs 400w RMS - $175 for both
2 10" Clarion subs 100w RMS $150 for both
3 10" Sony Explods 125w RMS $180 for all 3
6.5" Kicker Marine Enclosed speakers inside cabin - $100 for pair
6.5" Kicker Marine Enclosed speakers outside - $100 for pair
Poly Planar surface mounted speakers inside my radar arch - $120 for pair
Clarion 6.5" speakers for outside - $100 per pair
Clarion Marine Amp for inside subs and a pair of Kickers - $200
Clarion Marine Amp for outside speakers - $200
Boss Amp running 4 subs outside - $300
Head unit is a 7" touchscreen with ipod dock,mp3,dvd etc - $200
JL Audio Volume Control - seperate volume control for inside and outside - $60

Anyway, cost less then 2k with installation and wiring and all the stuff....and when people hear it they freak out because it is so loud and clear that it is ridiculous...

Word of caution, if your going to use off brand stuff like i did, read reviews on them to make sure your not getting junk...
Old 12-03-2011, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I also used automotive components and just put a light coating of electrical dielectric on the coil wires and connectors. All the speakers cones are already plastic with rubber surrounds so they are pretty much water proof!

I put 8 6.5" Alpine full range and 1 JL 10w1 in a properly sized sealed enclosure under the rear seat. I have a JL 250/1 going to the sub and an Alpine 100x4 going to the 8 6.5"

It pounds pretty hard!!

Some pics!