My Scarab 22 SC Project

Notices

My Scarab 22 SC Project

Old 10-22-2011, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VolaticusNavis
Chris,

Yep, simply screwed on. I am closing off the V beth with a tinted sliding piece of plexiglass. Basically like a door. I dont like it open like that. It looks tacky to me.

I took the visor off yesterday. Someone used a black caulking around the bottom part where the visor meets the indentation on the boat for it. Not exactly sure what the purpose of that was. Now its more mess for me to clean up. Mine also has some stress cracks around the rather obnoxious screw holes which secured the visor(windscreen) down. So I might be forced to put it on to hide it.

I agree. The choice of colors wasn't thought out for long term appeal. Colors like blue or red seem to carry on well through out the generations.

Where did you see this european SC22?
That sucks about the screw holes and stress cracks, but on the bright side, it would only be a couple hundred to have a shop fix properly.

The whole thread on that 22 I mentioned is here

Cant wait to see more pics of your project as things progress.

Chris
Old 10-22-2011, 07:59 PM
Registered

Kinda hard to tell but its all done. I just need to finish sanding off the area around the inside of the boat that was glassed to hold down the floor boards. Then I can vacuum it all out and put in the floor boards.

Its so rotted its still all wet in between the de-laminated layers. That bulk head half piece really wasn't rotted but it was near the rot and I already had it cut as an extra from the other side. Plus I figured if the work mirrored the other side it would be equally strong in the back. I'm pretty happy with the results. It could always be better but its just a little 22 day boat. I do plan on taking it in the ocean but its not really a race boat. So it will do just fine the way its set up.

Chris, Thanks for that link. That boat is cool. I like all the effort they put into it. I doubt these boats usually get that kind of treatment. I thought I was doing a lot of work. haha. I really like the way they did the seats. That's exactly what I am doing to mind. Just a little higher on the arm rests and a little more padding in the lower area.
I was also wondering why only one year later that boat had the motor literally attached to the center stringers. Mine as you can see from the pics has these huge bulky motor block stringer things. Mine looks much beefier. But also looks more heavy.. Its just odd they are different..

Last edited by VolaticusNavis; 10-22-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:41 AM
Registered

What do you plan on using for a motor? SB or BB?
Old 10-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Big Block
What do you plan on using for a motor? SB or BB?
I have mercruiser 454 im having punched out to 496.

About to track down a bravo drive this weekend.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Registered

Ive been a little behind lately. Today im cutting the floor boards. Will have pics hopefully tonight or tomorrow morning.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:41 PM
Registered

Are you planing on upgrading the tabs due to tge potential speed with that much HP (600 is easy to get out of a 496/498)?

I'm not looking to make mine fast, but it'll definitely be interesting to see how your project evolves.

Looking forward to updates.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:28 PM
Registered

I have tabs on it now. But haven't got that deep into it yet.

Originally Posted by Flat Broke
Are you planing on upgrading the tabs due to tge potential speed with that much HP (600 is easy to get out of a 496/498)?

I'm not looking to make mine fast, but it'll definitely be interesting to see how your project evolves.

Looking forward to updates.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by VolaticusNavis
I have tabs on it now. But haven't got that deep into it yet.
Small light boat , tabs nbd.
I had 22 scarab w supercharged 454 making about 550
Boat ran smooth and safe up to a c hair above 80 w/o any tabs.
Bravo one drive with a mirage plus 27.
Good luck w build. Oh ya maybe upgrade cable steering to hydro for safety and controll
MD
Ps mine was a 1989 had motor mounts on main strings, one string delamed. Rest of boat relatively solid and dry. Had a flat transom, no built in platform. Had a bulkhead with a lexan door to get into cabin, the ”newer” ones have the big one piece dash. Dont think it ever had a windscreen.

Last edited by scarab63; 10-29-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:30 PM
Registered

Any updates?
Old 05-22-2012, 09:42 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I would keep the wind screen. It works perfectly. Puts the air right over your head. I loved mine.