Scarab Panther always a work in progress >

Scarab Panther always a work in progress

Notices

Scarab Panther always a work in progress

Old 01-19-2013, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 1,212 Likes on 583 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
that? Evidence of water? How about head gaskets??
Hard to tell from the pix's but everything looks squeaky clean to me.
The head gaskets look brand new. When I have pulled the tails after idling for a while on the water I have found small drops of water in the bottom of the manifolds. I have pressure tested the system a few times and still have some droplets. The cams are on a 108* LS.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 1,847 Likes on 724 Posts
Default Interesting.

Originally Posted by Rookie
The head gaskets look brand new. When I have pulled the tails after idling for a while on the water I have found small drops of water in the bottom of the manifolds. I have pressure tested the system a few times and still have some droplets. The cams are on a 108* LS.
That can be hard to track down. One of my hot rod O/B's was steaming the oil out of the cylinders from turning a water leak to steam. Decked the heads, the block and replaced several sets of head gaskets to no avail. It was an aluminum block w/steel sleeves and I finally figured out the block was machined wrong from the factory and when heated, allowed the sleeves to drop bellow the deck surface which exposed the fire ring on the head gasket and let water bleed past it.
That one was a head scratcher.

I hope you find yours.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was talking about the socalled engian bilder T that was suggested
Old 01-19-2013, 08:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by acaruso
I was talking about the socalled engian bilder T that was suggested
I don't recall me stating my engine builder or recommending a builder. I only referenced having Jim Valakos heads that Dart cast for him and he then assembled for me.

Edit...
After going through your posts and finding out you are from the Maryland area, this must be the builder you have issues with. Something that has nothing to do with my restoration thread. Thanks for reading...
Or did you do a search for his name and then decide to trash him on my thread.
Thanks, I appreciate it!
Originally Posted by sonicss42
You'll be happy with Tony@CMS. He is a straight shooter.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
That can be hard to track down. One of my hot rod O/B's was steaming the oil out of the cylinders from turning a water leak to steam. Decked the heads, the block and replaced several sets of head gaskets to no avail. It was an aluminum block w/steel sleeves and I finally figured out the block was machined wrong from the factory and when heated, allowed the sleeves to drop bellow the deck surface which exposed the fire ring on the head gasket and let water bleed past it.
That one was a head scratcher.

I hope you find yours.
Thanks, I know it is from the combination of my cam and my mufflers. The problem did not happen till I added the mufflers. I can take them off and the manifolds remain dry. I have no choice but to run the mufflers. (to many noise violations with dry tails) once I'm on plane and running they are dry. I've done some investigating after some hard runs.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:02 AM
Registered

Received 1,847 Likes on 724 Posts
Default Interesting....

Originally Posted by Rookie
Thanks, I know it is from the combination of my cam and my mufflers. The problem did not happen till I added the mufflers. I can take them off and the manifolds remain dry. I have no choice but to run the mufflers. (to many noise violations with dry tails) once I'm on plane and running they are dry. I've done some investigating after some hard runs.
so if it only happens w/mufflers on, they must be collecting water off plane while motors aren't building enough pressure to keep them dry??
Assuming this......, do the mufflers have drain holes on the bottom of them??? If so can you make them bigger??

I guess another possibility is that they are creating enough back pressure to prevent the motor from blowing out the water (from where ever it's coming from) off plane and or maybe aggravated by (lack of) lobe separation of your cam???

Always amazes me at the little crap that surfaces when you do something on your own that is so close to what others have done but w/a little personal spin to it.
I'm really anal about my projects and read/research everything I can ahead of time and try to duplicate a known equation the best I can. That way if it doesn't work I know it's something I screwed up.

I taught myself a very important lesson yrs ago w/a muscle car I had at the time. Was modifying the 440 Chrysler in it and and after nearly 2 yrs of reading and asking questions I called Bob Mazzolini to order all of the parts. Told him on the phone I knew I could save 10 - 15% by going through Jegs but I was willing to pay that for his racing knowledge and expertise on that motor. (X Super Stock racer) He even offered to try and match it but I wouldn't let him.
W/his guidance (and his review of my plans) I had that motor turning 7000 RPM in every gear (ran out of balls at 6700 in 4th) and was virtually bullet proof.
All through that build, he would p/u the phone when I called.

Did the same for my first hot rod O/B. Sent the block to Al Stoker for boring and paid 3 times what I could have had it done for locally but got yrs worth of priceless information (plus the respect) in exchange. Always amazes me at the guys that just pick up the phone and call Wizard builder X and expect him to give them info for free that he spent yrs and $$$$ learning.

One of the few smart things I've done in my life

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 01-20-2013 at 06:06 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:22 PM
Registered

Way to long time since I have updated this thread. So this weekend I finally pulled and tore down my port engine. Looks like this one was a little rich.
Attached Thumbnails Scarab Panther always a work in progress-imag0777.jpg   Scarab Panther always a work in progress-imag0778.jpg   Scarab Panther always a work in progress-imag0787.jpg  

Old 03-25-2013, 08:20 PM
Registered

Apparently I got to this engine just in time. The cam was starting to wipe out 3 lobes.
Attached Thumbnails Scarab Panther always a work in progress-cam.jpg   Scarab Panther always a work in progress-cam1.jpg   Scarab Panther always a work in progress-cam2.jpg  

Scarab Panther always a work in progress-imag0791.jpg  

Last edited by Rookie; 03-25-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:23 PM
Registered

JimV did a little touch up to the chambers. This is pic of a brand new head vs the chamber port. Chambers are now 129cc's and that puts ~9.04:1
Attached Thumbnails Scarab Panther always a work in progress-chamber.jpg  
Old 04-07-2013, 09:02 PM
Registered

It's nice to take something apart and actually finding the problem right away. Boat would drift to the Starboard side and would need to be corrected every so often.
Attached Thumbnails Scarab Panther always a work in progress-rams.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.