Scarab Race boat, early 80s

Notices

Old 07-17-2013, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

I was home in Sarasota for the 4th of july weekend and was reminded by an old friend of mine by the name of Jimmy Gregg that he used to run a 30 flat deck back in the day of APBA that was orange and white. Gorgeous boat, it had cut down Race hatches from a 377 and staggered big blocks with TRS drives and speed masters. He was telling me about all the fun he had testing the bravos when they first came out. I was wondering if anyone had any pics of this boat or new where it was??? I'm in the market and I'd love to restore and old race boat. She was white with Orange stripes and Orange 3 man bolsters. A picture of it used to hang in the old boat house by the Hyatt in Sarasota. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:45 AM
Registered

Common guys, 80+views and no one knows where this thing is? Any ideas?
Old 07-18-2013, 09:20 AM
Registered

Ok guys I found more info on the boat, I thought you'd enjoy the history... I just need to get a damn picture of this thing if anyone has it. This is an email I got right from Jim.

Larry Smith owned Scarab racing in Ca. He got a royalty on each boat that Wellcraft built with the Scarab name on it. I believe he modified Betty's boat, but it actually was a Chriscraft Cat at the time. My friend Gus Anastasia of Wellcraft raced with Betty. The boats that Larry built were usually only race boats. Mine was built with 3 layers of kevlar in the hull and deck. Backshipped from Ca. by Wellcraft & delivered to my house. Just a bare hull,deck,& 2- 38' KV engine hatches that we had to cut down to fit. It was also the 1st flat-deck 31' boat built. Most people rigged their own boats that Larry built them . Mine was the first to use staggered motors. Well craft built 31's with the engines side-by-side. Mine also was the 1st boat to use Bravo drives. Gus set me up with a deal with Mercruiser to do R&D work for them. The 1st drives were very fragile, and we broke a lot of them.
As for the boat it went to Tx. when I sold it. He sold it to Craig Archer in Ca. & that season it became B-1 national champion! The next I here about the boat, is that it went to Mi.

Jim Gregg B-79

So thats the email I got and I think its an awesome story to an old race boat, I can't wait to find her. I know its out there somewhere.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's awesome you were able to track down some history, I'd love to see the boat you're talking about and I hope you are able to locate it!
Old 07-18-2013, 11:11 AM
Registered

Thanks Mink,

I feel like im getting closer. I'll post up some pics soon. Hopefully soon we'll have a new restoration thread starting
Old 07-25-2013, 11:01 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by limegreenstare28
Thanks Mink,

I feel like im getting closer. I'll post up some pics soon. Hopefully soon we'll have a new restoration thread starting
Your determination and loyalty are awesome. I hope you find what you're looking for and then some. Good luck