Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Scarab
Scarab hull number, WELP6233K990 >

Scarab hull number, WELP6233K990

Notices

Scarab hull number, WELP6233K990

Old 10-12-2013, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, was having trouble getting my head around the specs Wellcraft sent me.
Any thoughts on what it may be?, there is no evidence inside the rear hull that the vents were removed and glassed over.
Was surprised the keel stringer was in such good condition given was original from look of it.
Replaced it anyway as was going soft where ply exposed at front and rear lower ends.
Overall the hull seems in good shape for 23 yrs.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 195 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by rawhiri
Yeah, was having trouble getting my head around the specs Wellcraft sent me.
Any thoughts on what it may be?, there is no evidence inside the rear hull that the vents were removed and glassed over.
Was surprised the keel stringer was in such good condition given was original from look of it.
Replaced it anyway as was going soft where ply exposed at front and rear lower ends.
Overall the hull seems in good shape for 23 yrs.
After seeing the pics, I think if you look deeper, you may find evidence of the rear of the boat being modified? Either that, or Wellcraft made a "one off". All Scarabs larger than 29, prior to 1998 1/2, had bolted on swim platforms, most being molded fiberglass, but bolted on just the same. With the contours and shaping of the rear and just behind the hatch, that is not a factory production set-up. It is hard to tell from the angle/partial pics, but in some ways it looks more like a 34 Scarab III which were not really offered in 90 as the 34 Excel replaced it. The 91s thru about 93 Excels had a different type of side vent, but not what you have with the molded protruding cone, and they also still had a molded fiberglass bolted on platform. 93 was the last year, I believe, for the 34
Old 10-14-2013, 09:03 AM
Registered

Thanks for input,
Will have a much closer look,
Apparently the Boat lived in Japan before being shipped to NZ, the gen 6 502 are 2001 models, so it has been round the block a few times.
The interior glass, the helm etc all looks quite newer design than what am seeing in searches.
Is it possible it has had a entirely different upper deck fitted?
Cheers
Old 10-15-2013, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 195 Likes on 102 Posts

It is possible, but even so it is modified from a modern deck,aka 33 AVS. The foredeck looks to be factory for the most part/ although I am not sure what I am seeing in the "black slots" on the deck just forward of the windshield. Are they cut through the deck or is it just a graphic?
Old 10-15-2013, 09:59 AM
Registered

[ATTACH=CONFIG]509954[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]509955[/ATTACH]
The two, black slots are the perspex in the cabin entry hatch.
Thanks for responding.
Attached Thumbnails Scarab hull number, WELP6233K990-img_0857.jpg   Scarab hull number, WELP6233K990-vlcsnap-4820029.jpg  
Old 10-15-2013, 10:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rawhiri
Anyone have an idea what year and model we have?
WELP6233K990

Wellcraft sent me a link for the Excel 31ft,
Dont look anything like that, anecdotally been told the hull was originally based in Japan?

It has the molded in swim deck, currently powered by 502's & Bravo ones, 34ft LOA
Guess it may have had top reworked.
Way different lines to the 31 excel.

Thanks in advance

dave
Hull number won't give you the model. Here is how to read a hull number provided by the manufacture: http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.htm
Old 10-15-2013, 10:26 AM
Registered

Wellcraft have been good with providing information,

They maintain that from the boat serial number, the boat model is 1990 model year 31 Scarab Excel.
Going forward, I need to explore what has been modified on the upper deck.
Thanks for info and the link.