New 22 ...had engine and sundeck questions

Notices

New 22 ...had engine and sundeck questions

Old 03-30-2014, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 22 ...had engine and sundeck questions

Hey guys....new owner here.

Went to start the boat in the shop to get ready for the season.

After trying to turn the motor several times, the starter made a grinding noise. I pulled the starter and the fly wheel looks like a few teeth are gone. . Will need a new starter....are any better than others?

My understanding is that I will need to pull the motor to replace the ring on the flywheel. (Correct?)

Which direction do I rotate the motor and what size bolt is on the damper?

What are others experience in removing the sundeck? Do you simply remove all of the Phillips head screws in the sundeck and leave the piano hinge still attached to the boat?

Also looks like the riser gasket had a leak to the outside so I thought I would replace the manifolds while I'm there. I like the dry joint that certain brands offer. I have the silent choice exhaust. Any recommendations?

And yes....I'm jumping into this head first!
Old 03-30-2014, 06:44 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Look at gear on starter. They are pretty tough and might be ok. I needs replaced, no real opinions on better than other. You can get a ring gear from any auto parts store and can use a chisel or punch and drive the old one off and then heat new one with a oxy acetylene torch or put in oven on 450-500 and new ring will drop one. Take a flat punch and go around it once it is on to make sure it is seated all the way. You should be able to rotate the engine either way with balancer bolt. Preferably clockwise to not loosen it. Cant remember socket size. When I removed my engine hatch, I removed the screws from the hull side and left the hinge on the hatch. It is awkward but not real heavy. My wife and I did mine.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sun deck removed.

The screws to the actual sun deck are NOT what you do! (Thanks to the many replies)

You must unscrew the fasteners to the boat connection on the piano hinge to remove the deck.