86 scarab panther drive height >

86 scarab panther drive height

Notices

86 scarab panther drive height

Old 06-29-2015, 06:36 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 86 scarab panther drive height

[ATTACH=CONFIG]542653[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]542650[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]542651[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]542652[/ATTACH]So 4 -5 years ago i started a project that i never would have thought it would take this long to finish it.
I removed the trs engines, drives and transom assemblies to convert to a bravo boat and to increase the horsepower. When i got everything out the floor was delaminated and the transom was wet, i took it to have the transom and stringer replaced and to have the drive height set up with 3 up imco extension boxes installed.
The drive height. Boxes and prop shafts were supposed to be sat at 3 1/4 below the bottom of the hull. Some how they did not end up there and now i cannot get on plane with the prop shafts level or even a touch higher than the bottom of the boat. With props spinning in.

3 things i can do that i can think of anyone have any other good suggestion?
Try a 5-6 blade prop and take a chance of twisting the prop shafts
try a 3 inch spacer on each drive which will make the vertical shafts even weaker
remove the engines, boxes and drives and have the transon filled in again and lower everything to where it should be.
Attached Thumbnails 86 scarab panther drive height-img_2092.jpg   86 scarab panther drive height-img_2089.jpg   86 scarab panther drive height-img_2088.jpg  

86 scarab panther drive height-fullsizerender.jpg  

Last edited by hullofjustis; 06-30-2015 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 374 Likes on 140 Posts

you need to have the prop shafts at least 3 inches below the bottom I would take the boxes off and mount the gimbals to the transom and try that. the cheapest route just have to lower motor mounts.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Team Archer
you need to have the prop shafts at least 3 inches below the bottom I would take the boxes off and mount the gimbals to the transom and try that. the cheapest route just have to lower motor mounts.
yea that is where they were supposed to be. 3 1/4 below the hull. I do not know wtf they were thinking when it was set up
Old 07-01-2015, 10:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by team archer
you need to have the prop shafts at least 3 inches below the bottom i would take the boxes off and mount the gimbals to the transom and try that. The cheapest route just have to lower motor mounts.
do you think 5 or 6 blades would get me on plane? I was thinking of trying 3 inch spacers but those things are expensive to try
Old 07-01-2015, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does it bog or props blow out. try and borrow some props. this is cheapest and quickest. even if you have to go to the extreme at least you'll know if still blows or grabs the water
Old 07-02-2015, 06:44 AM
Registered

It blows the props out and cannot lift the transom. I had them spinning in. I am going to try to spin them out . however I do not think it will make a difference
Old 07-21-2015, 08:55 AM
Registered

so I finally got on plane with a 1" spacers. I do have to work the throttles and I have not trimmed the boat to much as I was worried about the props blowing out. however the boat runs and sounds good. I want to take it back out with a set of 28 pitch props and run it again with a little less humidity and a little more trim..
I spun the 30 pitch bravo ones to 5300 and 75mph w.o.t. with out much trim. those calculations I have 25% slippage which is very high. I also did not have a lot of water pressure on one engine so I am going to address this before I take it back out.

has anyone used cutting edge prop or are they familiar with them?
Old 07-21-2015, 11:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Augy does great work I have been working with him for more than 20 years. I would try a 5 blade Maxmus style with no diffuser ring gets you on plane quick I works good with high X dimension. We did a 29 Python with 800hp staggered bravo's and it runs 109 with 32 Maxmus props
Old 07-21-2015, 11:45 AM
Registered

Wow that is moving!
I am hoping to get close to low 90's based on theoretical speed and what the boat actually weighs.
I'm not sure if i should try another 1/2 or 1" spacer or leave it where it is and start messing with props. Thoughts?
The maximus i was thinking about however i came across his website thought about trying him
Old 07-21-2015, 11:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

He builds a prop that is similar to the maxmus . I would try this first then I would start trying more spacer. You should be able to get your slip down to about 10% spinning out works the best with a side by side setup. The Python is setup with the drives at about 2.5 inches below the bottom. But that boat is staggered so you might need to be a little deeper. I still think that you need to be at 3 inches below

Last edited by Team Archer; 07-21-2015 at 11:58 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.