Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Scarab
Restoring 38Ft Scarab – Should I Be Technologically Correct ? >

Restoring 38Ft Scarab – Should I Be Technologically Correct ?

Notices

Restoring 38Ft Scarab – Should I Be Technologically Correct ?

Old 07-14-2017, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Restoring 38Ft Scarab – Should I Be Technologically Correct ?

This is a very broad question – I am restoring a 1999 – 38Ft Scarab

I know I am asking a lot in this post – and this post may be a long read – all the same I need some positive direction to make purchase choices and where I spend my money and where I don’t.

The age and condition of most accessories on my Scarab need replacement.

I want to make the right choices to provide dependability, so brand quality is important.

I had to remove the corroded mechanical cables for positions indicators for trim tabs and outboards.

After looking at digital replacements I am seeing advanced technology and wanted to ask this forum their opinions on brands, and if throwing all my eggs into one basket when considering to change over to something along the lines of LowranceNET™ is the right thing to do.

So many brands and I want to buy dependability and long lasting components.

My technical mind keeps telling me to install the most up to date technology into what I am spending my money on.

My logical mind tells me certain systems should not be relied upon solely through the network. Nothing better than the dependability of individual analogue gauges to know exactly what the temp, pressures, etc… are without it being false readings.

If I have both I am unsure if I must have duplicate sensors for quite a few of the items in the list below.

Can you guys kindly give your opinions what should and should not be included in a network system ?

What gauges and sensors should be duplicated to ensure I can monitor the sensors readings no matter what happens to the network [failure] once I am hours offshore with hours more to get to my destination (?)

Can you kindly give your opinion of the most trusted, long lasting brands and components available today.

I went through a list of what these networks monitor and I won’t let it overwhelm me at all, but I am changing all the sensors and have removed the large mechanical trim and out-board position indicator panel, cables and end devices already, leaving a large hole on the right hand console.

If I start eliminating gauges to change over to the digital panel I will have a gauge cluster missing most all analogue gauges. Should I consider modifying the gauge panel area as well ?

I cannot find any info for a LowranceNET™ that monitor 2 engines at the same time (?) – is it necessary to install 2 of them to monitor 2 engines ?

The Mercury VesselView® system can monitor 2 engines and systems components, are there other brands do the same ? - but not sure what all it will monitor.

I simply cannot visualize all this data being provided on the size displays I have been looking at. Sure the user must switch back and forth to different screens, but all the same when I look across an instrument panel cluster I can get everything I need at a glance.

This is the list of systems the LowranceNET™ says it can monitor. I am looking at this and it seems sensible for me to get the network and get all these systems monitored from one display.

Fuel flow sensor

Fuel tank level gauge

Fuel economy

Fuel pressure

Fuel remaining

Fuel used

Fuel range

Trip fuel used

Seasonal fuel used

Eng temp

Eng rpm [tach]

Eng water temp

Eng oil temp

Eng oil press

Eng load

Eng hours

Eng synchronizer

Eng alarms & warning

Eng diagnostics

Battery voltage [x 2 ?]

Alternator voltage [x 2]

Transmission oil temp

Transmission pressure

Outboard position indicator

Trim Tab position indicator

Paddle-wheel speed log

GPS speed

Last edited by siamjimi; 07-14-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW - I should say thanks to everyone that takes time to read my inquiry. I have always had good feedback on my posts with questions and it is very much appreciated.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:04 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,326 Likes on 282 Posts

It may just be me but I like old fashioned analog gauges in my boat for monitoring the engines. They are easy to find and look cool too (opinion). I bought a used raymarine unit to use for navigation in my 30 and will prolly do the same thing in the 38' as I have delusions of being crockett and heading out of miami to the bahamas in my 38 in a year or two.