'85 Scarab III - questions >

'85 Scarab III - questions

Notices

'85 Scarab III - questions

Old 04-30-2018, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '85 Scarab III - questions

I have been offered this 34' boat. I've done some research, but before I invest the $$ to put 6 new tires and haul it 500 miles - I would like more info. Question: There is no battery power in the boat - how do I access the engine compartment? I understand the beam / transom rot is a potential - how (where) do I check for it? It will be a gut job - any other advice?? Thanks in advance for any help!!! M

Last edited by yawatto; 04-30-2018 at 04:31 PM. Reason: more info
Old 04-30-2018, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If the hatch lift is anything like my SCARAB 34 ( newer version of your 34 ) the hatch has a built in slide on the lift ram so that you can manually lift the hatch enough to reach and pull the attachment pin on the underside of the hatch.
It will probably be a given that the transom will need to be replaced.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:16 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

If you get the boat ,start a thread and there will be a lot of guys here that will help you with advise, myself included. I'm restoring a 38 Scarab Kaama, its a lot of work, but honestly, the work is somewhat enjoyable. My boat needed a complete transom, and stringers up to the companionway hatch. For me, it will be close to a two year project, or at least I am hoping to have it done by this time next year.

When checking your transom for rot, the easiest way is to pull the exhaust tips out, and poke around in the wood with a screw driver. This is where mine started, or at least it appears where the rot began. You can also tap on the inside of the transom with a plastic handled screw driver. If the sound is "thud" it's wet. If its a sharp, "crack" then it's most likely dry. However, the easiest, most fool proof way to find out, is pull the exhaust tips.

Good luck, and let us know if you get it.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you!! These are awesome suggestions. Hoping to get a few more insights before I get back up to the current boat home. I will most definitely keep everyone posted - I'll need the help! M