Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Scarab
Unknow Scarab model, modified? Who knows? >

Unknow Scarab model, modified? Who knows?

Notices

Unknow Scarab model, modified? Who knows?

Old 05-21-2018, 07:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unknow Scarab model, modified? Who knows?

Dear members,

I found this boat in Doha (Qatar) and the owner told me its a Scarab 2007 thats all he knows. From the shape / line of the boat it looks like a Scarab but after spending many many hours on the internet I can not find any similar boat like this one.

Is there anybody who has any idea about the model and make year of this boat?

Many many thanks!
Martijn

Old 05-21-2018, 08:15 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,119 Likes on 469 Posts

I'm no expert but it doesn't look 'Scarab' to me.
Bahrain and Emirates have a handful of boat builders making boats and most have originated from a better known hull from years gone by. Decks and fitouts are nothing like the well known U.S. products. Some are very good boats.

If you're thinking of buying it, don't buy it because someone says it's a Scarab, buy it because it's exactly what you want. He could be thinking 'Scarab type' but that doesn't make it a Scarab. Check it out very carefull first. Does it have a H.I.N. (Hull identification number) usually stamped into the transom on the upper starboard side? That would tell you who built it. If you're working from a few photos and haven't seen the boat, advertising in Qatar and the surrounding area is notoriously bad with innacurate text and incorrect photos.

I reckon it's a locally built Gulfcraft or similar that was possibly modelled from a Scarab. Good luck, do some more homework and let us know.

RR

Edit: Just looked at the pics again, Scarab CC's of that vintage have substantial bow flare but the pics show very little flare and it also appears to have two very small steps in the hull. Not sure that's typical Scarab either.

Last edited by rak rua; 05-21-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rak rua
I'm no expert but it doesn't look 'Scarab' to me.
Bahrain and Emirates have a handful of boat builders making boats and most have originated from a better known hull from years gone by. Decks and fitouts are nothing like the well known U.S. products. Some are very good boats.

If you're thinking of buying it, don't buy it because someone says it's a Scarab, buy it because it's exactly what you want. He could be thinking 'Scarab type' but that doesn't make it a Scarab. Check it out very carefull first. Does it have a H.I.N. (Hull identification number) usually stamped into the transom on the upper starboard side? That would tell you who built it. If you're working from a few photos and haven't seen the boat, advertising in Qatar and the surrounding area is notoriously bad with innacurate text and incorrect photos.

I reckon it's a locally built Gulfcraft or similar that was possibly modelled from a Scarab. Good luck, do some more homework and let us know.

RR

Edit: Just looked at the pics again, Scarab CC's of that vintage have substantial bow flare but the pics show very little flare and it also appears to have two very small steps in the hull. Not sure that's typical Scarab either.

Many thanks for your reply. I actually life in Qatar and I've seen the boat and thinking of buying and restoring it in Qatar. There is no HIN placard so I can't verify anything.

To me the bow line looks like to old Scarab from the 80's but that I havent found a matching boat after many many hours of research says something. The railing is not original as the sunroof.

Maybe somebody recognises the boat?
Old 05-21-2018, 10:11 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,119 Likes on 469 Posts

There's a few guys here who know Scarabs inside out so hang in there, hopefully you'll get a definitive answer.
If it's a Scarab hull, someone here will know for sure.

RR

Old 05-21-2018, 10:37 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rak rua
There's a few guys here who know Scarabs inside out so hang in there, hopefully you'll get a definitive answer.
If it's a Scarab hull, someone here will know for sure.

RR

Thats what im hoping for Many thanks RR
Old 05-21-2018, 10:47 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,307 Likes on 280 Posts

Everything RR said. And I may be wrong but it doesn’t look like a scarab to me either. Didn’t they discontinue them before 2007? I like the lines of it.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by hblair
Everything RR said. And I may be wrong but it doesn’t look like a scarab to me either. Didn’t they discontinue them before 2007? I like the lines of it.

fFr sure urge it’s not a 2007. The engines are 2007 I’m pretty sure the owner has no idea about the rest. I’m just surprised he came up with the brand Scaran since it’s not we’ll know in this area.

I like the the lines of the boat as well
Old 05-22-2018, 02:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 370 Likes on 137 Posts

I have worked on and built more Scarabs then I care to remember and that has no Scarab in it its blood line the deck looks more like an old Scorpion or one of the other MSV designs. But if its what your look for then more power to you good luck, Regards Dan
Old 05-23-2018, 04:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Team Archer
I have worked on and built more Scarabs then I care to remember and that has no Scarab in it its blood line the deck looks more like an old Scorpion or one of the other MSV designs. But if its what your look for then more power to you good luck, Regards Dan

Many thanks for taking time to look at the pictures. I’m sure now it’s not a Scarab.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:58 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Defo not a Scarab
The HIN is stamped and molded in the gelcoat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.