1991 scarab excell help >

1991 scarab excell help

Notices

1991 scarab excell help

Old 11-27-2018, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 60 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 1991 scarab excell help

I picked up a new to me 31 scarab excel. I am getting her ready for 2019. Only have 2 things left on my list to fix. I cant find a fresh water tank anywhere and think it my have been removed. All the hoses are removed and I cant find where the pump my have been located. Next is it has no waste tank. It shoots it out the bottom of the boat. Any ideas where the waste tank was originally located? Looks like I might have to cut the floor open to install one. Anyone that has one and can help me with where the stuff was located that would be great!

Boat has twin 454 mag on it. I checked the speed on GPS and it seems a little slower then it should be. I was seeing about 56 MPH with it. It has 25P mirage props on it and either the engines are not running 100% or they are a little to much prop. I am seeing about 4400 RPM so its close to the WOT range it should be but a little short. It has MSD ignition and I checked the advance springs and they where so corroded their was just rust dust left and no springs. So installed new advance springs and reset the floats on the holley carbs all 4 floats where off from the previous owner. So working all the issues out. Anyone have a similar set up that can tell me what they run?

This is my first scarab and wow is it smoother then my baja! Love it so far.
Thanks
Old 11-27-2018, 08:13 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a 1992 34 SCARAB ( EXCELL )
My tanks were inside the rear seat base. The toilet went to the one on the starboard side and the fresh water tank was on the port side.
The water system was a hand pump faucet in the galley only. I installed a 12 Volt pump in the engine compartment and a water heater so that I could have hot and cold running water in the galley and head.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
I had a 1992 34 SCARAB ( EXCELL )
My tanks were inside the rear seat base. The toilet went to the one on the starboard side and the fresh water tank was on the port side.
The water system was a hand pump faucet in the galley only. I installed a 12 Volt pump in the engine compartment and a water heater so that I could have hot and cold running water in the galley and head.
Thanks! It looks like the fresh water tank was also under the seat on mine. Not sure about the waste tank. I need that space for storage now anyway so might cut open the floor near the head to squeeze in a small waste tank and a macerator pump to spit it out when off shore.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I think your props are too big. All the ones we sent out the door back in the day we put 23 Mirage props on.
Steve
Old 12-11-2018, 07:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Katanna
I think your props are too big. All the ones we sent out the door back in the day we put 23 Mirage props on.
Steve
Thnx Steve.
I am almost done changing plugs wires and cap and rotors and getting the GIL marine exhaust put back on. The exhaust had 5 broken studs when I bought the boat so I spent a good 3 days drilling and tapping them out. They would not easy out. Hardened steal on an aluminum housing makes it all fun. But in the end I was able to get them all done and reinstalled with all new stainless studs. I also just got both gimble bearings changed a shift seal on one of the bravos changed out and all the bellows done. Repainted the outdrives also.

Was talking to another guy with twin 454 mags and he is running 25P props with a scarab a little bigger then mine. He said he is seeing mph in the low 60s. The old owner of my boat said it would do mid 60s with the 25P props. It preformed so bad with the 23P props I sold them already because I knew they were not going to work granted the props where in very bad shape. So regardless I would have to get new ones. I did do an engine run last night and on the left engine I had to readjust the idle because it was idling so much higher then before. So looks like I gained400 rpm just by plugs and wires and that engine seemed to be lower on power then the left so who knows might be my lost power. Might try and take her out this weekend for a test run.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:07 PM
Registered

Update!

Took her out today and she is making 5100 rpm.

I ended up doing plugs, wires, rotors, coils, and caps on both engines. She is doing about 66mph now with the 25p props. It was dark so I might been able to play with the trim some more but at night I didn’t want to mess with it to much.

Thnx for the help.