1985 Scarab II manual search >

1985 Scarab II manual search

Notices

1985 Scarab II manual search

Old 12-10-2019, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 Scarab II manual search

I just bought a 1985 Scarab II and am looking for an owners manual. the boat is in great condition. it has decals on each side that say Kevlar, but there is no KVL stamp by the vin on transom? I believe it is whats called the Kaman hull?
boat was special ordered at the 1985 boat show in Miami by gentleman from NY State. it has 550hp 528ci big blocks and Kaman surface drives. waiting for the spring thaw so I can get her out on the water.
any idea how to value this boat? NADA does not have options for any of this driveline or power.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

I have that exact boat. I might have the owners manual, but to be honest, I don't remember there being to much in it about the drives. The transmissions are Twin Disc. Limited to 700hp? There are limited hard parts available used. GM-Powerboats.com has used parts. All of the seals and bearings are off the shelf. Gears are Casade V-drive with Metric splines, so you have to find them used or have them made. All shafts can be made by a well-equipped machine shop. Boots are kind of unicorns, put usually can be found.

I have found a website "KaamaEngineering.com" There's been rumbles John Connor was reinventing the brand in Florida, but now there is a website.

For values, I'd contact Dan at Archer Marine in Cosa Mesa Ca. He's the premier expert on everything Kaama and may have anything you might need.

They are great boats, they make great speed for the power inputted, but are not everyone's cup of tea. You have to get used to getting them out of the hole, which is different. Hope this helps!
Old 01-27-2020, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 85 scarab 2

I have the same boat with Kaama drives and 502gm twin disk trans. my boat has 120 hours on it and no dock rash. orginaly had a sticker on it that said Florida marine patrol number 5 . under the teak on the floor the gas tank has the Kaama markings and number.. I bought 2 new zz502 engines undergoing cams,heads and Dart intakes, aluminum flywheels and internal balance. I have the original Kaama book reprint on zerox from some huckster, also original sales form and merc brochure. the boats are not valuable however everbody has to start somewhere and mine is very sharp in grey and black with white deck. the best original boat you will see is { troys jacksonville } on youtube.. I have about 14k in mine and the drives are worth 3k , motors 14k . paid 3k for boat in bad economy. I spent alot of effort on big block vettes and whould weep if anything happened to them, the boat,not so much.its another toy to me and eats like a horse, takes alot of room and makes no sense in Indiana, I love it , get smashed and study the water line and chime area and any gearhead gets it. look at {502ss kaama }on youtube. . .anyway I bought alot of parts here and ebay .sold a few, I have seen a dealer repainted / repowered boat advertised for 27k . I will do a thread when the project is in one piece, welcome