Scarab SCS Repower >

Scarab SCS Repower

Notices

Scarab SCS Repower

Old 01-18-2020, 04:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Scarab SCS Repower

I've had my 23 SCS for 2 seasons now, when I bought the boat it came with an old 454 out of a pickup with a marine cam. Gets up to about 62mph but it's getting tired now and ready for a repower.

I have my eye on a 2004 496Mag EFI motor that had had the oil cooler let go on it, so the boats warrenty bought them a new motor. This motor has been sitting full of oil since. I can pick it up for around $4500cad. Exhaust and all. Just needs oil cooler.

​​​​​Just trying to decide which route to go. Building a motor is also an option. I love the thought of building a blower motor. Whipple or 671. Obviously the more expensive route.
​​​​
lets hear your input !
Old 01-18-2020, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

SCS's are a cool little boat. Keep in mind the 496 mag is only 375 hp. If you are going thru the repower process, I would at least look for a Mag HO, or a decent power small block and shave a few pounds in the process
Old 01-18-2020, 11:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by scarabman
SCS's are a cool little boat. Keep in mind the 496 mag is only 375 hp. If you are going thru the repower process, I would at least look for a Mag HO, or a decent power small block and shave a few pounds in the process
I heard that by changing the cam and a computer reflash you can basically turn it into a HO? Was also looking at Raylar heads for it.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Although I’m hopping to move up in size a bit this season, I currently own an SCS. I had a new motor built for it late last year. Merlin block 555 CI full roller. Don’t know how fast it is since I’ve only run a couple of break in hours to date.

Here’s a link to some video of It running: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Ti2St6CpSB2rn8
The following users liked this post:
larslindroth (06-12-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 10:19 AM
Registered

Damn that's a really nice SCS! Clean! I bet it moves along pretty good now.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks.

Hoping to get to Havasu in April to watch Desert Storm. Should be in a position to give it some throttle (at least way up river) before the weekend is out.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rickdarling
Thanks.

Hoping to get to Havasu in April to watch Desert Storm. Should be in a position to give it some throttle (at least way up river) before the weekend is out.

​​​​​​I've always wanted to check out desert storm. Looks awesome. I don't think I'd have the willpower to hold back and do a proper break in
Old 01-20-2020, 09:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by SCARAB.23.SCS
​​​​​​I've always wanted to check out desert storm. Looks awesome. I don't think I'd have the willpower to hold back and do a proper break in
Got to say I was tempted however, I was at Lake Elsinore and there isn’t really a ton of room there. Round and round I went at 2,500 to 3,500..
Old 05-21-2020, 11:04 AM
Registered

I had 97 too with 502MPI was neat boat. What color is yours?
Old 05-24-2020, 09:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My SCS is sold. A gentleman from back East came out, surveyed and bought it, then shipped it home.

Desert Storm was cancelled due to Covid. Havasu is open but a friend tells me it is a zoo. 1-2 hour waits at the ramp, etc. Memorial Day weekend is probably complete madness.

My season is probably a wash this year. I’m keeping an eye out for a clean 29 (Scarab or Fountain) however it would have to be a smoking deal. It’s likely I’ll do better towards the end of the year. The combination of off season and a down economy (due to Covid) may open up some bargains..

Last edited by rickdarling; 05-24-2020 at 09:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
larslindroth (06-12-2020)