Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Scarab
Scarab 302 just purchased >

Scarab 302 just purchased

Notices

Scarab 302 just purchased

Old 06-15-2021, 06:15 AM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

Post the part# of the props. The lowers are turning the correct direction. It still sounds like the props are on the wrong side
Old 06-15-2021, 06:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Some readers may have assumed these are sterndrives. They sound like outboards to me. A counter rotating outboard will have a model number start with C followed by the shaft length. (L, XL, XXL) I reckon either the cables are hooked up incorrectly (I don’t know how to change them) or the engines are set up to spin props inward, in which case you just need to swap props.

RR
Old 06-15-2021, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

Rak, they are outboards, good call.
matt89, props are as you say spinning out, your right either cables are backwards or lowers are on wrong side.
don't know if propshafts are stamped L & R,
(only know based off counter rotating alpha gen 2) the bearing carrier is shorter on left rotation because counter clockwise runs off the gear on the carrier. Take the props off, and could see the difference but again, i don't know if thats the case on outboards.

there might be other indicators like which way the shift shaft rotates or is supposed to rotate into forward and reverse on standard and counter rotation. Find that out and it will tell you if the lowers are on the correct side.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt89
It looks like the props are spinning the correct direction spinning to the outside.. starboard prop rotating clockwise and port rotating counter clockwise.. Motors are mercury 250s...

I know the controls were replaced recently and I have been told the lower units replaced as well... I’m guessing either the shift cables are hooked up wrong or possibly the lower units are swapped? Would there be any markings that identify a left or right lower unit?
Spinning out isn’t “correct” necessarily. Spinning in is usually faster and so that’s what the previous owner likely set it up for.
Old 06-23-2021, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

If the problem is backwards cables that's easy to remedy on those zero-effort shifters. The cables have a hook on the end and the lever has 2 bars that the hook hooks on to. One bar is forward of the lever, one bar is aft of it. Switching from one to the other reverses the action.
The following users liked this post:
rak rua (06-23-2021)