33 AVS DPX to Bravo >

33 AVS DPX to Bravo

Notices

33 AVS DPX to Bravo

Old 07-31-2023, 10:43 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 33 AVS DPX to Bravo

Has anyone used the adapter plates for the transom? I see alot of people talk about it but i've never read fi someone did and they fit good?
Old 08-01-2023, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 195 Likes on 102 Posts

Is this Matt, by chance?

No 1st hand experience, but have seen them used several times at a boat shop near me in non-performance applications. As you are asking, you already know there would be plusses in making the conversion. The biggest downside is the DPX driven and Bravo driven 33 AVS's are substantially different boats with DPX being superior in most all ways (My opinion based on1st hand experience with many hours on both). You will also lose the nice clean hydraulic steering and need to convert to the more typical external type, but that is a fairly minor rub.

Also, depending on the age of the boat, it might make sense to bite the bullet and just redo the transom and cutout, unless the transom is known to be good throughout.
Old 08-01-2023, 10:40 AM
Registered

Yes, This is Matt! Confused on how you know lol!
got a couple quotes on to redo the transom and it’s not cheap! I’d rather find the gears for the dpx but I haven’t had any luck.

Originally Posted by scarabman
Is this Matt, by chance?

No 1st hand experience, but have seen them used several times at a boat shop near me in non-performance applications. As you are asking, you already know there would be plusses in making the conversion. The biggest downside is the DPX driven and Bravo driven 33 AVS's are substantially different boats with DPX being superior in most all ways (My opinion based on1st hand experience with many hours on both). You will also lose the nice clean hydraulic steering and need to convert to the more typical external type, but that is a fairly minor rub.

Also, depending on the age of the boat, it might make sense to bite the bullet and just redo the transom and cutout, unless the transom is known to be good throughout.
Old 08-01-2023, 10:42 AM
Registered

Mark I’m guessing?
Old 08-01-2023, 01:00 PM
Registered

You got it. Hows the boat look? It was pretty much pristine when I sold it, but I was of the belief the guy I sold it too, was likely going to beat the stuffing out of it. No idea if that is/was the case or not?

Did you get the trailer issue squared away?

You looking for whole gear sets, or just need pinions? The pinions are the weak point in the drives. They fail and take other stuff out as a result, if not caught in time. If you only need pinions, possibly have a set reverse engineered/made? I had looked into about 12 years or so ago and found a company to do it at about $5k for 4 gears, as I recall? I am sure it is a good bit more now, but possible still a solution? I could look for the info if you need it?
Old 08-01-2023, 01:29 PM
Registered

Well I tried the reverse engineering route and got the run around for 6 months. Guy in Texas at performance gears said 16k for four sets 4k per set, 6 months later he Never even started and I got worried if tolerances were off it wouldn’t last. I never got the trailer registered bc nobody has proof of registration for it and Louisiana won’t register it. Also the guy I bought it from forged a signature to skip paying taxes on the guy you sold it too. Overall the boat was in really good shape besides the audio which I upgraded. Hoping to just sell the dpx stuff and convert to bravos. Everyone says dpx is better but there is also only so fast you can go with dpx drives bc of the props. I’m also considering getting extension boxes.
Old 08-01-2023, 01:54 PM
Registered

If you are looking to go faster than 93 or so the boat will run stock, then yes, you will need to ditch the drives. I was friendly rivals with a guy who had a 98 with 650 hp per side and shorty bravos on boxes. His boat was about the same top speed as mine, now yours, maybe even a tick faster, but I would out accelerate him hands down

There is likely a market for the DPX stuff. I had a spare drive and a pretty good collection of parts I had bought over the years of owning the Scarab, and actually had a guy drive up to NJ from your state to buy all the stuff about 3 yrs ago. Oddly enough, I have 1 E-4 rear prop left, and a guy from St Amant wants it, but we cant seem to come to terms on how to get payment done