Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Sea Ray
Pachanga II Hull Designs >

Pachanga II Hull Designs

Notices

Pachanga II Hull Designs

Old 09-22-2015, 01:10 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't know from personal experience, but I remember reading somewhere that the 23 Regal Velocity was a bit squirelly at high speeds and required an experienced driver. Personally, I always loved the Pachanga 22.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:57 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by MonkeySea2
I don't know from personal experience, but I remember reading somewhere that the 23 Regal Velocity was a bit squirelly at high speeds and required an experienced driver. Personally, I always loved the Pachanga 22.
You have to drive it but nothing "squirrely". While I had been a boater for many years I found mine to be very predictable and a short learning curve.

Padraig
Old 09-22-2015, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, I've seen video of each hull running WOT with a small bit of chine walk on each hull. They both appear to be fast quality designs especially given their age.

Am looking at an 88 Regal for $7k, 600 hrs on hull, with a repower 7.4 210 hrs ago.

Am also looking at two Pachangas, An 86 5.7 with rebuild everything for $12, and an 87 7.4 with no hour meter for $8.5.

Am finding various feedback over which hull ran better although it seems most agree the Regal was faster with equal power. but the Pachanga handled chop better given ti was not a pad hull. Am trying to discover the degree of deadrise differences between them now.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by utski1
Thanks Biggus, what was the WOT difference between your two boats? You're not the first to opine a preference for the 5.7 small block variation. Were they a carb engine at about 260hp?
My 350 Mag (270 hp) powered Pachanga was actually a couple mph faster than the big block (7.4 330 hp) version we had. I think the additional weight of the big block consumed the additional 60 hp. It rode a bit nose high at no wake speeds compared to the 350 model that we still own. They are fantastic little boats. Ours is a "daily driver" so to speak. We live on the water and it's just a fun old boat that we don't mind taking the dog in or hopping in with work boots on.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:19 PM
Registered

I hear ya Biggus, and everyone loves the P22s. Did Cigarette make may of their micro boat 22ft modles? I heard that was a short lived hull as the company continued to focus on the big boys.

In this case I'm wondering if the Pachangas are worth the extra $$ over the Regal. Of course with the age of these boats it all comes down to condition and upgrades. Also, I know the Regal has a 1.50 ratio drive which will perform at my elevation (5000 ft) but I have not been able to verify which ratios are in the Pachanga drives. Most boat sellers I speak with don't seem to understand the relevance a drive ratio plays upon the boats performance. Am actually leaning toward the 86 Pachanga with the 5.7 at $12k...but my brain keeps yelling that the Regal is only $7k. $5k in savings goes along way to keeping Mrs Utski1 happy.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:24 PM
Registered

What drives do they have?

Just because the Regal has a pad, don't think it will have a rough ride. You get up on the pad and go.

Make sure stringers and transoms are good

Padraig

Last edited by Padraig; 09-22-2015 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:36 AM
Registered

Fair questions for sure. Both Pachangas have Alpha drives. The 5.7 has a freshly rebuilt Alpha drive, and I think the 7.4 has an alpha HD drive. The 7.4 does not have an hour meter so I don't know how much wear is on the drive has. The Regal has a Bravo one with 600 hours, as the drive was not repalced or rebuilt when a crate motor swap was completed approximately 210 hours ago. I presume that a pad bottom will write a little rougher than a classic deep V. With the Regal does the pad only come into play at higher RPM?
Old 09-24-2015, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

owned 91 Pachanga SBC for 6 years. loved, loved, loved that boat!!! still kick myself for selling it. I don't think there are any difference in the hulls between years. they did change the underside of the swim platform (put a recess in) in the later years to accommodate the Bravo when it was released. also there is a rumor that 86's were originally a Kevlar hull but I've never been able to verify this. the hull has two small hooks at the back transom that you could always remove if your really out to chase extra speed. my 350 was lightly worked over and the best I ever saw was 63 mph. handling wise I thought the boat was fantastic for a 20.5'. 3' chop was too much but it held it's own in 2' Lake Erie chop without drama or getting pounded to death.
I'm not real familiar with the Regal (rare around me) but you won't be disappointed with the Pachanga.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:33 PM
Registered

Thanks Blckkat for the reponse and your experience your 91 Pachanga. Especially regarding your experience while running in choppy conditions as I prefer to have a performance hull that can still run in light chopSo far I haven't been able to locate specs on the hull that show that information. without ruining my dental work. Or causing my wife to strangle me. Do you happen to know what the dead rise is on the 22 Pachanga?

The regal velocity is a rare boat with a slightly longer hull (23.5) and a pad in the hull, although there happens to be one for sale near me at this time. By all accounts they are very similar boats and either one would be great on the water.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:40 PM
Registered

Drive both. Don't buy either without a test drive. Does any of them have hydraulic steering? I think the only the 454 mag Regal Velocity came with hydraulic.

Again.....make sure the transom and stringers are sound. All three boats have some years on them and you need to check for moisture.

Padraig

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.