290 SunSport SLX Repower >

290 SunSport SLX Repower

Notices

290 SunSport SLX Repower

Old 08-21-2019, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool 290 SunSport SLX Repower

I recently bought a 2007 Sea Ray SunSport SLX and looking to repower it with LS platform power this winter so this amazingly comfortable boat can keep up with the center consoles at a Poker Run.

I originally thought to use the LSA which does make 585hp and a potential to make much more reliably, but I am also considering the L86 which makes 455hp NA, has variable cam timing and over 400 lb/ft of torque just off idle. Another real benefit using the LS platform motors is the 1000+ pounds of weight reduction in the Sea Ray. The L86 will make more power than any traditional NA Big Block OEM offering or the twin Mag 350 MPI Mercruisers, while doing so on less than a third of the fuel consumed.

Certainly with this power increase I am also going to re-rig with dual Latham hydraulic steering, 28" hydraulic trim tabs and Bravo XR drives. I might even add the swim platform to hide the drives from onlookers and muffle the sound a bit.

With the dramatic weight loss, I will definitely increase my fuel capacity and add an onboard generator with CruiseAir.

Has anyone else considered a swap like this on their Sea Ray? I like performance and I feel this is the perfect way to get there with an amazing boat layout.

This is the L86 Direct Injection V8 with variable cam timing

Last edited by IDLife Express; 08-21-2019 at 07:33 AM. Reason: added image