A "What would YOU do ??? Moment

Notices

A "What would YOU do ??? Moment

Old 06-05-2011, 06:38 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Question A "What would YOU do ??? Moment

I often thought whenever a time came where I may have needed to put my priorities in order within a split second, what would I do.... ?

While shooting an event yesterday I found out just what I would have done and feel a whole lot better about myself for not letting the photographer side me take over.

Here I was standing on the finish line table top of a Motocross track built on the beaches of Wildwood, NJ.

Some real young kids racing their bikes to a white flag signaling they are about to begin their last lap.
I am surrounded by the announcer, the flagman, another photographer and 1 or two more people that were on the opposite side of the track.

I watch as this young boy gets great air in front of me but he misses his landing hard on the blind side of the jump. There he laid with the bike on top of him.
Yellow flags go up from what I was told, but the boy couldn't get out from under the bike and he began to scream.
People started to help him and I could have continued shooting until I saw the next rider coming heading right at the center of the jump.
At this point it seemed the rider had no idea there was a bike on the other side of the jump that was down. Flags or not, he was still coming. Now I know what was about to happen next.

Do I keep shooting for the most shocking crash of the day or do I try to prevent it from happening ? The better side of me told me to try to stop him. While wearing a neon green vest, I thought I would be the easiest to spot. I let go of my cameras and jumped out onto the track and started waving to the oncoming rider to stop...
He was already coming too fast and I had to jump out of his way.

Unfortunately my efforts couldn't stop the unthinkable.
The second rider hit the boy that was down on the blind side of the jump head on...
At this point I joined the effort to get the boy out from under his bike . He was in screaming pain and just kept asking why no one stopped the other bike. I did my best to calm him down and explained that we all did our best to stop him but the other boy was already in the air and there was nothing anyone could do at that point.

As far as I know the boy was going to be ok.

I went back to my position where the other photographer was as he was gloating, 'I got pics of the whole thing ! "

I mentioned that I just couldn't sit there and not try to prevent what was about to happen. Sure, I gave up some exciting stills of a crash, but I slept better knowing I did all I could to stop that boy from getting hit.

Several races later it started happening all over again. This time it was on both sides of the track. 1 bike down on the top and 1 bike down on the blind side. The only place for the oncoming riders was up the middle... Once again, I let go of the cameras and warned the oncoming riders.

After this mess, they stopped the racing until they repaired the landing area at the Finish line.

At that point, I changed my shooting location because I felt I was pushing my own luck with way too many close calls of being hit...

Before I walked away I showed the announcer a shot where a rider was heading right for my lens. I asked him, "What do you think he was thinking ??? His response, " He obviously was trying to give you a great shot! " It was way too close for comfort therefore I moved to a safer location...

P.S.
No signs of a slow economy in the Motocross/ATV racing.
56 to 57 races in one day !

One hell of a day on the beach !

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 06-05-2011, 08:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's called the "Golden Rule" Tim!! You followed it perfectly!
Old 06-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are a good person and must be a parent. I would hope someone would try to protect my kid if possible. Great job!!!
Old 06-05-2011, 09:40 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

You're the kind of person I would want out there if my kids were there! You did the right thing, these are kids not Pro's, the Pro's do it for the money, the kids - the pure enjoyment. Maybe had you not gone out there the crash may have worse, you don't know but you'll go to sleep knowing you tried.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Skater Brother
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You did the right thing!!! Good for you!!
Old 06-05-2011, 09:49 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey you posted a pick on my facebook page that spams back to you site,How do I get you to unlink it on my page ?

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:11 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Hey you posted a pick on my facebook page that spams back to you site,How do I get you to unlink it on my page ?
If you don't want it there than just use the Delete Button.
What pic was it ??

PM me your FaceBook link and I will be sure to unfriend you so it doesn't happen again....

Old 06-05-2011, 10:18 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Thanks for all your thoughts and comments...

Yes, I do have kids and that instinct may have helped, but I think I would have done the same thing anyway....

This just reminded me of the time my younger sister had stalled on the RXR tracks across the street from the house I grew up in. . The gates started to come down and she was panicking. I ran over and got her out of the truck but still had enough time to get it started and drive it out of the gates. Train passed shortly after...

I don't think she ever drove a stick shift after that ever again...

Old 06-05-2011, 10:35 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES
If you don't want it there than just use the Delete Button.
What pic was it ??

PM me your FaceBook link and I will be sure to unfriend you so it doesn't happen again....
maybe ya got hacked?

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...type=1&theater
Attached Thumbnails A "What would YOU do ??? Moment-greenshot_2011-06-05_21-32-02.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:48 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
maybe ya got hacked?
Not hacked at all.

That was a message I sent out to explain to people that they can SHARE my images on their Profile with the ease of two clicks and it will post to their FaceBook.

It was in response to so many people asking me if I could email them Digital Files so they can put them on FB. If you find your name TAGGED on that image, simply click"REMOVE TAG" and it will disappear....

Nevermind, I removed it for you...

Last edited by SHARKEY-IMAGES; 06-05-2011 at 10:52 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.