Project Awesome - Author responses only please >

Project Awesome - Author responses only please

Notices

Project Awesome - Author responses only please

Old 11-18-2010, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Project Awesome - Author responses only please

This thread is my way of sharing with you my experience with rebuilding and upgrading my boat. It sorta took on a life of it's own. You know. "I will just change out the motors and do the other things next year" Yeah, right!!!! This will be an ongoing thread, so please in the interest of keeping it condensed, Please DO NOT post anything. Post any comments over on the "Project Awesome responses". Will help in looking over the posted pics----speed wise. So without any further delay, let's begin. I will try to give each new pic a header describing briefly what is going on.

PAGE INDEX OF THREAD CONTENT:
1-2) Cockpit Dash and Center Console
3- ) Cockpit area

Last edited by ROTAX454; 12-05-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:44 PM
Registered

The original pic when I first purchased "her" back in 2003. Seems like ages ago. Original build package was very basic. Merc 7.4 Magnum 330HP carb motors. Bravo Drives. Basic instruments and Morse controls. Did have thru hull water pick-ups and IMCO offshore steering system. Mitcher T paint was a plus and did help sell the boat. Manning trailer was the original owner's and was not included in the boat deal. Dennis was kind enough to let me use it till I purchased an aluminum trailer.
Attached Thumbnails Project Awesome - Author responses only please-winder-001.jpg  
Old 11-18-2010, 04:55 PM
Registered

The 1998 Hull/motors had low hours on the clock when I purchased "her". According to what Jim told me, this was the Awesome 1998 Miami Boat Show model that was displayed. Dennis rack stored the boat during the summer month's and back on the trailer and into storage for the winter. Super clean and not misused.
Attached Thumbnails Project Awesome - Author responses only please-winder-002.jpg   Project Awesome - Author responses only please-winder-003.jpg   Project Awesome - Author responses only please-winder-004.jpg  

Old 11-19-2010, 09:56 PM
Registered

Original dash layout. Faria instruments and Morse controls. Plastic machined panels. Non-tilt wheel. Basic stuff. Awesome did choose a great cockpit interior package. McLeod Design.
Attached Thumbnails Project Awesome - Author responses only please-original-dash.jpg  
Old 11-19-2010, 10:04 PM
Registered

Dash attachment was greatly reinforced by GlassDave (he is in Toledo) from OSO. Lot's of grinding/fitting for the new gauges. When I say the dash was gutted, IT WAS GUTTED. Nothing remainded from the past. The original wiring---Gone!!!!!!! ALL NEW.
Attached Thumbnails Project Awesome - Author responses only please-fiberglass-repair-areas-001.jpg   Project Awesome - Author responses only please-fiberglass-repair-areas-003.jpg   Project Awesome - Author responses only please-fiberglass-repair-areas-004.jpg  

Old 11-19-2010, 10:33 PM
Registered

New aluminum panels were designed for the upper and lower sections of the dash. Center console too. CNC milled for precise fitment of the new gauge group. Lot's of time fitting each component. Livorsi gauges and controls.
Attached Thumbnails Project Awesome - Author responses only please-dashboard-prototype.jpg   Project Awesome - Author responses only please-new-dash-panels-blank.jpg   Project Awesome - Author responses only please-dash-panels-w-gauges-003.jpg  

Old 11-19-2010, 10:52 PM
Registered

Dash looks like a cobbled mess, but it really is very strong and was reinforced to hold the new aluminum panels and about double the amount of gauges. Fitting new panels to the dash for drilling purposes. No sheet metal screws for attachment. All S.S. machine screws.
Attached Thumbnails Project Awesome - Author responses only please-new-dash-panels-dash-001.jpg   Project Awesome - Author responses only please-new-dash-panels-dash-003-01.jpg   Project Awesome - Author responses only please-new-dash-panels-dash-006-01.jpg  

Old 11-19-2010, 11:03 PM
Registered

Dash was modified/reinforced in many area's. Original dash housing was not designed to carry the weight that I am now going to have there. Dave did a get job in this area.
Attached Thumbnails Project Awesome - Author responses only please-dash-006-01.jpg  
Old 11-19-2010, 11:13 PM
Registered

Fresh paint and pre-drilled with the blank dash panels, time now to install all of the gauges in the panels and start wiring.
Attached Thumbnails Project Awesome - Author responses only please-dash-003-01.jpg  
Old 11-19-2010, 11:25 PM
Registered

Fitting and drilling the holes in the new (unpainted) dash panels. Usinng SS machine screws. No sheet metal screws used here. Final fitment before painting of panels.
Start-Run-Kill switch panel done. Military spec toggles should do the job nicely. Merc Kill Tethers.
Attached Thumbnails Project Awesome - Author responses only please-dash-panels-w-gauges-001.jpg   Project Awesome - Author responses only please-dash-panels-w-gauges-002.jpg   Project Awesome - Author responses only please-ignition-switch-panel-001.jpg  

Project Awesome - Author responses only please-ignition-switch-panel-003.jpg  

Last edited by ROTAX454; 11-19-2010 at 11:34 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.