Need Some Help With Bilge Pump Selection

Notices

Need Some Help With Bilge Pump Selection

Old 05-18-2017, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Some Help With Bilge Pump Selection

Hello All,

I have a Donzi 38Zx and need to replace the bilge in the engine compartment. The problem is, that the pump is far out of reach by any stretch, and so pump replacement will either require removal of one engine, or removal of the power-steering pump and engine/blower pulleys in order to even begin thinking about getting to the pump. Because the pump is so inaccessible, I'm wanting to come up with a serviceable solution that will facilitate easy access whenever needed. So, I thought I'd mount the new pump on a piece of vertical flat stock aluminum, perpendicular to the pump, and bolt the flat stock to the side of the center stringer, while allowing the base of the pump to touch the lowest point in the bilge in order to pick up water.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Also, I'm considering the Johnson 1250GPH with removable motor cartridge. I saw this pump design as a means of easy pump motor replacement in the future, should it fail.

Thank you!
Old 05-18-2017, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Look at something like the Jabsco pumps. They mount up by the battery and you run a 1" hose into the bilge (with strainer) to suck water. 6-7' dry lift
Old 05-19-2017, 01:06 PM
Registered

Ahh, thank you very much for the heads up! Sounds like a perfect solution...I'll check it out.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:52 PM
Registered

Take the inside headers off and easy to get to
Old 05-19-2017, 11:22 PM
Registered

I ended up going with a new Rule 1100/GPM pump and a Rule model 66 side mounting bracket. While it will be horribly difficult to access and remove the old pump, having a new side-mount set-up will allow me to mount the new pump onto a bracket that I can attach to the center stringer, and if needed, unbolt it from there and raise it up to work on it. I'll test the volume output from there, and if needed, duplicate the set-up on the other side of the center stringer. That should do it.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:37 AM
Registered

Please provide some pics if you have them. I had the same idea and want to install something soon. Thank you.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I think your plan sounds solid. Sunsation mounts their bilge pumps from the factory like that.