Potential 38ZR Newbie >

Potential 38ZR Newbie

Notices

Potential 38ZR Newbie

Old 12-28-2018, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential 38ZR Newbie

Hello all, I feel like I am cheating on my Fountain crew so please don't sell me out (yet). I recently sold my 35EX and we are seriously considering a 38ZR so I was curious of what I could expect performance and handling wise from the boat. Staggered 525's all as equipped from factory with no mods to anything. I haven't owned a twin step since my Fastech which chine walked at high speeds and was prone to get "squirrel y" when turning hard in any chop. The 35EX was a much better handling boat but a bit slow with the side x side 496HO's and single step (74 MPH was best I ever saw with a typical load). I would also like to know about construction as I have read conflicting articles on how they are built-this particular boat is a 2007 so I am curious as to whether they are definitely wood free at this point or???

Handling
Performance (real world with all of the stuff you would have on a family boating day)
Overall quality & type of construction
Pro's/Con's

I hate being the guy who asks all of the questions that you have probably answered many times but also know there's no better place to ask than here.

Thank you in advance & happy new year to all!
Old 12-28-2018, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

As a fountain owner I wouldn’t worry about it. The 38 ZR’s are bad ass boats, I believe they are 38’ 4” with the swim.

As for build and rigging i have always thought the DONZI’s are far better then fountains.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:02 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Lightbulb 38zr

Welcome to the 38ZR family. I have the staggered 700's, so I cant address every thing. My boat is the 2009 model. I did take the Tres Martin School to make sure I understood any performance issues with the hull. My wife does not like to go fast, but we own a go fast. The boat is like a knife thru the water, very stable, inspires confidence. Can't say enough good stuff about the hull. We updated the navigation and purchased new garmins, one for each side of the cockpit. We also have extra long K planes and cleaver props. Don't hesitate to ask. Enjoy!
Old 12-31-2018, 04:29 PM
Registered

I own a 43 DONZI Zr 700 Sci boat and it is my second Donzi having sold my 39 last summer. I'm not a Fountain basher but in an overall comparison I would say a Fountain might be comparable to an Oldsmobile 98 whereas a Donzi is a Cadillac Escalade. The fit, finish, design, paint design work, upholstery, features and overhall appearance a Donzi has are far superior to that of a Fountain.. There absolutely is no comparison not to mention it is a much larger boat and more sea worthy. I will readily admit that a Fountain may be a few miles per hour faster but how often do you run wide open unless you want to substantially lighten your wallet and correspondingly decrease your net worth. There is no wood in the transom or stringers in a Donzi. Donzi, in short, is a class act and you will not regret purchasing a 38 Zr. Just my 2 cents.........

Last edited by goldeneyee; 12-31-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by goldeneyee
I own a 43 DONZI Zr 700 Sci boat and it is my second Donzi having sold my 39 last summer. I'm not a Fountain basher but in an overall comparison I would say a Fountain might be comparable to an Oldsmobile 98 whereas a Donzi is a Cadillac Escalade. The fit, finish, design, paint design work, upholstery, features and overhall appearance a Donzi has are far superior to that of a Fountain.. There absolutely is no comparison not to mention it is a much larger boat and more sea worthy. I will readily admit that a Fountain may be a few miles per hour faster but how often do you run wide open unless you want to substantially lighten your wallet and correspondingly decrease your net worth. There is no wood in the transom or stringers in a Donzi. Donzi, in short, is a class act and you will not regret purchasing a 38 Zr. Just my 2 cents.........

This post is comical. First let’s address the history of the zrc/zr1 that came from fountain lineage. It’s a damn near direct slash of a fountain bottom, with changes made to settle the boat down and hope for an advantage in turns over the fountain hull on the race course. The zrc/zr is a great boat, but the advantage they were seeking never panned out.

The zr does have nice fit and finish, but when compared to a fountain of the same year (2007 plus) with the premier cabin there is no advantage to the Donzi over a fountain. Comparing an older model (which most people see) is not even in the ball park. And to make a notion that the Donzi which included the molded swim platform is some huge size advantage is comical. The first time I stepped in the cabin of a 43zr I scraped the skin off my back bone, the owner replied (yeah, you have to back in)

The zr is a nice boat, but apples to apples on 2007 plus fountain the fountain will have an advantage in speed, with no compromise in handling. It will also have better resale as they are more desired overall in the marketplace. If the Donzi has any advantage it would be that your chances of running into another zr at a poker run is slim, and that won’t be the case with a fountain. So if that’s a concern, buy the Donzi.

My question for the OP is: you loved the handling of your 35 fountain, why look to change? It’s only going to get better with more size of the same brand. Fountain still dominates the race course in super vee. Where are the Donzi zrc race boats?
Old 01-01-2019, 10:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 493 Likes on 229 Posts

We own a Fastech , so I can’t speak of either Donzi or Fountain but I find it very interesting everytime someone asks about input for a boat besides a Fountain the Fountain owners get defensive and start to trash talk...wonder if this is a anatomy thing 😁. Always thought the ZRC DONZI was amazing. Anyhow, good luck to you with the Donzi purchase.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Talking donzi

Fountain = Junk ! fast boat but no quality in workmanship...……………….on the same level as a Yugo !

Last edited by cigboat1; 01-01-2019 at 02:05 PM. Reason: add to post
Old 01-01-2019, 06:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,126 Likes on 476 Posts

I do a lot of reading online about sports boats, it's a substitute for not owning a big high powered rig.
You should get answers from owners and of course, comparisons and opinions. Through my reading, I can honestly say I've never read a bad word about the 38's. Not everyone will love them, things like style and layout are all personal and you can make up your own mind on that score. The important things like build quality, performance and handling always get positive responses. If you like the aesthetics of the 38', I'm sure you'll enjoy ownership.

Happy shopping.

RR

Old 01-01-2019, 11:19 PM
Registered

Received 218 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by badmonkey
We own a Fastech , so I can’t speak of either Donzi or Fountain but I find it very interesting everytime someone asks about input for a boat besides a Fountain the Fountain owners get defensive and start to trash talk...wonder if this is a anatomy thing ��. Always thought the ZRC DONZI was amazing. Anyhow, good luck to you with the Donzi purchase.
Not really!
I own a Fountain and could not give a rat a$$ what someone thinks of it,as long as I like it thats all that matters to me.
I find a lot of people that take shots at Fountains never owned one,so what makes them a expert? oh theirs friends uncles sister knew a guy that had a friend and his dad said Fountains are $hit,oh ok cotcha you are a expert,
does it get old reading all this crap? YES ,but do I give a $hit or do I feel the need to defend Fountain ? NO!
Old 01-02-2019, 09:57 AM
Registered

I actually did the same thing, I sold my 35 ex and bought a 38zr. Night and day ride difference but be ready for a whole new realm of maintaince , my boat had 220 hours and we had to do new header and tail pipes also did the tops ends @ 300 hours and if you lucky you get 120 hours out of the XR drive's before a gear swap. I love my donzi but my check book misses my 35 ex with the 496's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.