Desert Stprm >

Desert Stprm

Notices

Desert Stprm

Old 04-30-2008, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Havasu

Thanks AJ. Your boat looks great. What a great color scheme.

The intercoolers are the MOAC Cupernickel. Gary at GT Performance took the intercooler off yesterday and it is melted. Has to have been a Plenum Fire to melt these. They did find one spark plug wire partially broke and melted. It is possible that maybe this created a spark back up through the distributor and caused a misfire in one cyclinder while the Intake Valve was open. Seems like that would be hard to do.

They are searching for what the cause might have been.

let you know if and whenthey find the cause.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:39 PM
Registered

Default Havasu

No special Strainer as of now. The water for the intercooler is plumbed through the main straner for the engine.

I don't think this is the problem If the water or anything got that hot (enough to melt Cupernickel) then there would be many more pieces melted.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:16 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Get live temp gauages on the dash, and locate the probes underneath the core and you will see what type of temps you are getting. Do you melt them at idle or underway?
Old 04-30-2008, 08:18 PM
Registered

Default Havasu

Underway at about 3500 RPM for 5 minutes or so. Ran close to 140 and 5500 RPM earlier in the day.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:35 AM
skater brother
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by bripar77
Underway at about 3500 RPM for 5 minutes or so. Ran close to 140 and 5500 RPM earlier in the day.
I know that boat has been faster than that
Old 05-01-2008, 02:39 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey sounds like you guys all had a great time. First time in a couple years that I've missed it.

Gator: Too bad about the blower issues. I saw some pics and the new boat is amazing. What's the top speed so far?

Bripar: Sorry to hear about the intercooler issue. I've seen a whipple intercooler come off of a quad rotor motor before that was a little melted (not bad though) and I think that was caused by the motor backfiring through the blower. Sounds like maybe you also have a timing issue like you said. If its an EFI quad rotor, could be some sort of glitch in the fuel injection computer too. I'm sure you'll get it all sorted out and it'll be running hard in no time. Congrats on the boat, looks like fun.

40: Sounds like your boat ran trouble free all weekend? I followed your buildup over on the HB forums so I'm glad to see that its running well after all the work you put into it...congrats.
-Tom
Old 05-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ToMorrow44
Hey sounds like you guys all had a great time. First time in a couple years that I've missed it.

Gator: Too bad about the blower issues. I saw some pics and the new boat is amazing. What's the top speed so far?

Bripar: Sorry to hear about the intercooler issue. I've seen a whipple intercooler come off of a quad rotor motor before that was a little melted (not bad though) and I think that was caused by the motor backfiring through the blower. Sounds like maybe you also have a timing issue like you said. If its an EFI quad rotor, could be some sort of glitch in the fuel injection computer too. I'm sure you'll get it all sorted out and it'll be running hard in no time. Congrats on the boat, looks like fun.

40: Sounds like your boat ran trouble free all weekend? I followed your buildup over on the HB forums so I'm glad to see that its running well after all the work you put into it...congrats.
-Tom
Yeah man, it's running great. Just one #6 drive leak but easily fixed. Had fun running with the guys in the front row as always. Just a few more things to do different on the dash, repaint the drives, repaint the trailer, and were done....
Old 05-01-2008, 03:06 PM
Registered

Default Havasu

Yea AJ I expected that you would comment, seems how the GPS tattle tale still shows exactly 160 MPH from when you had it. . I just need a little time to find out the limits of the boat expecially in roughed up water. I had at least 800 RPM left and it was building speed still but ran out of room. Also I want the thing to last a full weekend which as of now with this intercooler issue hasn't happened yet. How fast has your 40Gone so far? Did you build Quad Whipple Motors or just large single Whipples?

Will you be at Lake Cumberland this year for the Poker Run?
Old 05-01-2008, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KNOT-RIGHT
Curious copper or aluminum cores?

I have had lenthy discussions on this issue with Dustin
as well as Roger at PSI.
it is not the heat of the charger.
Do you have a picture?

Dont really mean to Hijack Tommaro44.
This info is good stuff.
Intercoolers burn because they are on fire. This is not from a backfire, lack of water or high discharge heat. It takes over 2000deg F to melt those CuNi cores, and not a flash, such as a backfire, which subsides when the fuel is burned, but a sustained temp. This is caused from some type of engine misfire or ignition of the fuel coming of the SC. Misfires can happen for multiple reasons, bad distrubutors (cylinder fires too early or too late), lean air fuel in 1 cylinder, bad spark plug, etc. The engine misfire is the most common, it lights the fuel/air charge out of the SC, which comes out at a high pressure, concentrated area causing it to act like a blow torch. The engine must continue to run, that is key, because you can't melt the core in 1 second. Dual engine boats are the worse because you can't feel such a drop in power, but it does lose power. Other applications, with very aggressive camshafts, can have the intake valve open during some part of combustion, allowing the flame to backtrack up through the intercooler, to the air and fuel source (SC).

Thanks,
Dustin
Old 05-01-2008, 04:27 PM
Registered
Platinum Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by pbam22
I know that boat has been faster than that
Yes it has bud

Quick Reply: Desert Stprm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.