skater prices >

skater prices

Notices

skater prices

Old 10-30-2013, 06:20 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HiPerf360
I would love to read a business plan to flip / restore high end offshore boats for profit.
We do the restore for profit plan every day and see no end to the work coming in...... the flip for profit part we stay away from because no proof that it exists has been found to date.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

My $.02 on the 46 is that it isn't a repair for just anyone to perform and the boat collided with a MTI in Miami Florida (2010) where people died....Mixed Emotions has a BIG damage area on her side which has to be even larger sub-surface and running into the running surface.

My Way was repaired by John Cosker after her Incident on the St. Lawrence......Fuel Tanks and a repair that would be needed on Mixed Emotions, to be competently and unquestionably done right would have to be performed back at Skater by Peter.... possibly Glass Dave if he was up to the size of project.

If not, I would be walking away - if not running!

I am not trying to put a damper on anyone's ambitions but the liability of such a structural repair is way beyond monetary - someone would get seriously hurt or killed with a faulty repair.

Also, the way I look at the repair - No one has fixed the boat up to this point which means the boat would not gain in value repaired vs as it sits today without the expense of the repair tacked on top.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speicher lane
My $.02 on the 46 is that it isn't a repair for just anyone to perform and the boat collided with a MTI in Miami Florida (2010) where people died....Mixed Emotions has a BIG damage area on her side which has to be even larger sub-surface and running into the running surface.

My Way was repaired by John Cosker after her Incident on the St. Lawrence......Fuel Tanks and a repair that would be needed on Mixed Emotions, to be competently and unquestionably done right would have to be performed back at Skater by Peter.... possibly Glass Dave if he was up to the size of project.

I am not trying to put a damper on anyone's ambitions but the liability of such a structural repair is way beyond monetary - someone would get seriously hurt or killed with a faulty repair.

Also, the way I look at the repair - No one has fixed the boat up to this point which means the boat would not gain in value repaired vs as it sits today without the expense of the repair tacked on top.
1+ Very true point
Old 10-30-2013, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

You said it needed to do 100... my calculator doesn't go high enough to figure the cost of a pair of motors and drives to make that 40 go 100. and a 46 skater that does 100, if someone is in the market for a 46 skater they are going to want to go significantly faster. Also per your business plan, someone looking to buy a skater probably is not shopping for a wrapped boat emblazoned with logos for Jimmie's burgers and Franks Ace Hardware.

I think you would be better off trying to turn 4000 boats into 10000 boats and working your way up,
Old 10-30-2013, 09:11 AM
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brian41
We do the restore for profit plan every day and see no end to the work coming in...... the flip for profit part we stay away from because no proof that it exists has been found to date.

Sorry, let me rephrase that, buy, restore, then sell for profit. I understand how the restore for profit plan works as long as it is a customer writing the check.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 228 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by brian41
i see where your coming from, though i am on a different level of thought. Im not going to really open up my ideas over the web. ive been in contact with glassdave and he gave me some insite on my idea. and yes, i am going to offer that too. my shop is going to offer a one stop shop for customers. if they wanted a damaged race boat to a pleasure boat with custom paint, interior, and rigging, i can offer it all under one roof. and then finding boats like mixed emotions and going through it with a fine tooth comb.

Originally Posted by speicher lane

i see where your looking at this.. yet though it seems alot of you guys think im some wanna be using a home depot fiberglass patch kit thinking i can fix that boat with 100 bucks and some dreams. maybe a 2x4 and some drywall screws. i am working in and with a very well known glass and boat repair shop for the whole north east. the boat is no where near too far gone. i might go to look at it in a few weeks when peter gets back from florida.

Phragle- i am working with a graphic design business right now. i am looking at doing a custom paint then a wrap to intervene with the paint. this wrap is where i would have the logos placed. then with have the wrap be able to be removed with the custom paint still there. and no, i see exactly what your saying and already working thought about and around that.

and yes, i am doing that, turning cheaper boats and shining them up and workin my way up. only thing that is going to kill my profits are new motors.. 25k for 3 new verados... i would have to get the hull and trailer almost for free to make any profit there. so ya, certainly things i need to still figure out and see what works and what doesnt. thanks for everyones input thus far!

i got a few questions though, people on this forum, theoretically, i bought and repaired mixed emotions, did some cool stuff to it, the hull was sound. fixed 100% right. and i had it priced not at the moon... would you stay away from it knowing its past history or would you not worry about it cause of what it was turned into?

for example... some of the skis i built before and after pics. granted these are old and you can sometimes get them for free. but everyone knows when you build a custom ski its always started off from an old hacked up hull... no one cares... do you think with boats, if it was damaged, even if it was fixed properly someone would stray away from it?

Old 10-30-2013, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

The other thing to think about is the offshore community isn't really that big, big enough to make a decent living if your really good and have a reputation. (I know Glassdave as a friend. he works hard, does excellent work and has an excellent reputation. He is not rolling in a skater or outerlimits or driving a new blinged out superduty but he does have work and lots of it. What can kill you is a small bump in the road around here. The first time somebody has an issue with your work around here, everyone is going to know about it. The first time you have a part backordered you need for a job you quoted 3 weeks form but now takes six, everyone is going to hear about how your lagging. I actually wish you the best of luck and not trying to discourage you, just making sure you realize why people say the quickest and easiest way to make a million dollars with boats is to start with two million.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:12 PM
Registered

I appreciate all your responses guys. Just trying to gain a feel and get stuff in line. And honestly I'm not looking at rolling in escalades or outer limits or a mansion. I'm just wanting to start a business that I can enjoy going to work every day and do a great job at doing it. And have a fun time with doing it. Defiantly not over here saying "ya ill be a millionaire when I'm 25" ya know what I'm saying?
Old 10-30-2013, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you hang out on pwc today and hx2o?
Old 10-30-2013, 08:22 PM
Registered

Ya I used to. A bunch of people got hard ons for what a few guys did and my attitude a few years ago people just made jokes about my work yet every ski I sold the customer was happier than a pig in a ****

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.