Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Skater
Anyone here used foot/ hand throttle in a large cat ? >

Anyone here used foot/ hand throttle in a large cat ?

Notices

Anyone here used foot/ hand throttle in a large cat ?

Old 03-09-2014, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone here used foot/ hand throttle in a large cat ?

Rigging my 32 soon and after 30+ years of right hand throttling not sure I will ever be comfortable with left hand console mounted throttle . For that reason been looking into have split system . I thought I saw a system that you had the option to either use foot or hand throttle . Also concerned performance in rough water .
Any input and or exp would be great .

Larry
Old 03-09-2014, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Can't help you on the system that you are asking about but good to hear you are getting the 32 back together - was a good thread to follow.....My preference is a port helm for the same reason!
Old 03-09-2014, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hay check with Pete they did a system just like you want a few years back I remember seeing there I think Trevor did it he is no longer there but that's no problem
Old 03-09-2014, 03:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I saw Vern from west coast drives using one in the 40 skater Predator at Loto. give him a call
Old 03-09-2014, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I throttle my boat left handed. Not a big deal. I would want sticks versus foot throttle any day.
However I did see some dual foot throttles at the Miami show. Hardin marine had some.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm the same with throttling left handed, once you get used to it its not a problem. on the other hand I have had other boats with foot throttles and you have to be extra careful when launching off of waves in rough water that you don't stomp the pedal by accident at the wrong time
Old 03-09-2014, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KEVLARKAT32
Rigging my 32 soon and after 30+ years of right hand throttling not sure I will ever be comfortable with left hand console mounted throttle . For that reason been looking into have split system . I thought I saw a system that you had the option to either use foot or hand throttle . Also concerned performance in rough water .
Any input and or exp would be great .

Larry
Over the year I became Ambidextrous at throttling my 28 as I would drive and throttle from starboard or just throttle from port seat when my son was driving. I liked the freedom of being able to watch the gauges and water with him driving. I had a single foot throttle on my 21's which were always a handful requiring both hands.
On an old Youngblood tunnel I had in the 80's we had a hand and foot throttle. It worked like cruise control

Ask Rik about Dales 308 "Prototype 30". They rigged it with a foot throttle system. It had a split to do either or both. I think it was made by In Control.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:58 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got and rigged many boats with foot throttle. From the comments those who are against are mostly nieve as the foot throttles pivot in the center so one can brace themselves and not floor the throttles at the same time.

Having a foot throttle is just like driving a car/truck and without a hand throttle you have the option of no console so getting into and out of the front seats is a lot better.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone ! The Hardin one is simply a In-control . From my research they no longer offer the hand/ foot throttle option .
After spending the day taking care of few paint issues and climbing in driver seat there would be no room as is with factory foot rest to install foot throttle .
The guys who say its no issue do you have power steering ? For me after 30 plus year of holding wheel with left hand and throttling with right , I MUST HAVE RIGHT right hand throttle . I will leave my controls and add another set into right side seat . I will make a link box so it will be dual control as mentioned I will be able to throttle from console while someone else wants to drive my hunk of **** .
Larry
Old 03-11-2014, 07:23 AM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by KEVLARKAT32
Thanks everyone ! The Hardin one is simply a In-control . From my research they no longer offer the hand/ foot throttle option .
After spending the day taking care of few paint issues and climbing in driver seat there would be no room as is with factory foot rest to install foot throttle .
The guys who say its no issue do you have power steering ? For me after 30 plus year of holding wheel with left hand and throttling with right , I MUST HAVE RIGHT right hand throttle . I will leave my controls and add another set into right side seat . I will make a link box so it will be dual control as mentioned I will be able to throttle from console while someone else wants to drive my hunk of **** .
Larry
Marty at Diamond told me a couple of years ago when i was looking that they bought the in-control stock. Right hand throttle connected to foot throttle. If anyone could make it work I'm sure your the guy. Check with him Larry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.