Outboard skater BS thread!

Notices

Outboard skater BS thread!

Old 05-15-2014, 01:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
Craig, Great job on the thread! Sure there will be a lot of BS on here!! LOL... We all can keep dreaming of a 400hp Mercury Racing outboard in the near future that will not sink our boats. That thing that went to Dubai is a hybrid for now. Not to mention butt ugly. The go to Yamaha guy who builds a lot nasty motors is Hydra-Tec. Ask for Wayne Worthy. Nice guy. They work on Mercury's also. Who knows maybe I'll have a set 400hp motors one day...
the thread idea came to me a while back I just never did it till we started clogging up andy's LOL, but I kinda feel like we're the redheaded step child of skater LOL and don't really fit in at SF either.

A local guy put new 250sho's on an older 25 eliminator he stripped and re-rigged, guess I should look him up and see how it's running. I did notice the Yamaha stuff on the website when I went to check out his seal and vent kits. On that note...why doesn't the expansion tank have a vent???? when I pulled both my lowers I felt/heard a touch of pressure release when I disconnected the line form the shift seal quick coupling!
Old 05-15-2014, 01:49 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe we need our own web site? "Scream and Rebuild"
Old 05-15-2014, 02:05 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Location: East Texas Waterfront- running errands if anyone asks
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That Merc V8 looks very heavy.

Why arent we hearing more about that "Seven" outfit with the caddy motor, and why didnt they call that company eight"?

I will gladly give up .25 mph to have hydraulic steering over rope and pulley. WTF?
Old 05-15-2014, 02:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by LAriverratt
A local guy put new 250sho's on an older 25 eliminator he stripped and re-rigged, guess I should look him up and see how it's running.
Did Mike actually do that? I knew he was talking about it but thought it was cost phobitive. I know its on a 'toon but I love dad's SHO. Very impressive engine.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:11 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Location: East Texas Waterfront- running errands if anyone asks

I would never join a club that would have me as a member.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by skate
Maybe we need our own web site? "Scream and Rebuild"
scream applies to me but not rebuild YET lol. Hope that's many more hours in the future for me.

seven marine is a heavy beast that along with the price tag is what's keeping them from being used IMO. they did rig a 39 Nor-tech CC with trips 89.7 http://www.seven-marine.com/news/fir...en-marine-557s

just to compare

557-------Dry Weigh 1094 lbs. 557hp prop shaft power @ 5400rpm

300xs---- --- 505 lbs.-534lbs. 300 drive shaft hp @ 6100

Last edited by LAriverratt; 05-15-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LAriverratt
scream applies to me but not rebuild YET lol. Hope that's many more hours in the future for me.

seven marine is a heavy beast too! and the price tag is what's keeping them from being used IMO. they did rig a 39 Nor-tech CC with trips 89.7 http://www.seven-marine.com/news/fir...en-marine-557s
I originally wanted to use Seven Marine OBs on a 32 flatdeck but the weight cost and lack of local maintenance support made it a no go. Later when I decided to use the LSAs on 338 build it was all good until they went to the dyno. GM also stated that prolonged use above 5400 RPM would lead to catastrophic valve train failure. So that being said I wonder about longevity if the LSA on an outboard application.

BTW the cost of a crate marinized LSA and ASD 7s was less than a Seven Marine OB and lighter!
Old 05-15-2014, 03:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by jmeng
Did Mike actually do that? I knew he was talking about it but thought it was cost phobitive. I know its on a 'toon but I love dad's SHO. Very impressive engine.
thought I remember seeing pics of it??? maybe not LOL.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I have been on a few CC with 7 marine engines and not all that impressed. Like Skate we have entertained the idea of a 32' Cat with twin 7's but the cost is ridiculous. Also not sure how all the weight hanging on the back will hold up. CG would really tough.
I agree with Craig, outboard skaters are the step child here on OSO. On scream and fly we do not fit in either. So now we have a home!!
Old 05-15-2014, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

This is going to be a sweet thread, outboard skaters may not lay down huge top speed numbers but they are great boats and they really started it all for catamarans.

What i cant believe is how so many power sports have products that continue to improve in efficiency and power where outboards seems to have been moving much more slowly. I mean the 300xs is a great motor but it has been unchanged since 07.

Someone needs to build a widened 30 like the 338's but with triple 300xs!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.