Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Skater
32 vs 36 significant differences >

32 vs 36 significant differences

Notices

32 vs 36 significant differences

Old 08-14-2014, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the compliment. My friend Dan made they Vid. That is five hours of Go Pro edited down to 4:28 minutes! lol
It is a major pain in the a$$.
Because of music copyright laws we can't post on you tube.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro
I have owned my 32 Classic for 14 years.
I think about going to a 36 everyday. With over 1,500 hours on my 32, I still can't justify the extra $. I run my boat a lot. Sure the 36 would be more comfortable but fuel cost alone I think would be a least t triple. I can run from CT to Shelter Island NY then over to Watch Hill RI on 50 gallons of fuel. Yes, I do cross the Sound at 50 MPH but then I cruise at 85 to 92 MPH.
Here is a little video.
Yes we should have had our vests on in the big stuff.

https://danlandryvideos.shutterfly.com/pictures/29
Very cool video. I am an outboard guy myself and will NEVER own an I/O anything. in my comparison I was assuming the OP was only looking at i/os'. Your 32 was my dream cat until I got some seatime in a 32 DW. Keep running the crap out of your 32! I do every weekend weather permitting!

The Talon Guy
Old 08-15-2014, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
Holy crap, Frank !! Good to see you back at it.

I would call the 32' a fun, usable boat. I would call the 36' a REAL boat.

32' has great Skater traits buts it's not gonna like anything 3' or bigger. And the tunnel on the 36' will definitely help with the ride comfort.
Hey Greg! Yeah, I've been away too long. You'll be seeing more of me around here and on the water soon. Finally decided to go cat. Or I have to put a muzzle on Mike, lol. Thanks for your input, you've got the background to know.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by smiklos@sunprint
I went the 32 classic route. It is very tow/launch/retrieve friendly. I can legally tow it most anytime and anywhere.
Steve
Hi Steve, lets repeat the '06 Worlds P3 cat and mouse game again, lol......this time skater to skater.......and you can keep your cigar and lighter in the boat this time..........hopefully see you at some poker runs soon.

Frank

Last edited by thedonz; 08-15-2014 at 06:14 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 08-18-2014, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great video Hugh (and Dan)!

I think Greg hit the nail on the head when he said the 32 is a "fun" boat and the 36 is a "real" boat. I would add: The 32A with the OB's is a "fun" boat. They are not super fast (~100mph), but they are a ton of fun to run in 1'-2' water. They are economical to run and pretty reliable as well, although the lowers are a little fragile on the OB's. Once you get into solid 3' water, the 32A is probably not the boat you want to be in if you don't want to get wet or take a beating. The i/o version of the 32A rides a little better due to the extra weight. The 32B IMO should only be considered with i/o. The 32B is a much bigger boat than the 32A, side by side the 32B dwarfs the 32A. The B is wider and the tunnel is a lot deeper, without a doubt it will handle the rougher water better than the 32A. The 32B is probably right in between the 32A and the 36 in terms of rough water capability. As Greg said, the 36 is a real boat... take a 36' out in solid 3's+, you'll stay (mostly) dry and not get the snot kicked out of you. The difference between the 36 and the 32A is night and day.

With that said, if you want to go and have fun wringing the boat out in average seas with the guys, the 32A with the OB's is tough to beat for the smiles/$ at somewhat sane speeds. With 850's in a 32B, that boat will fly, be a lot of fun, and will run circles around most boats in average conditions. With 850's in a 32B you'd also likely find that you have enough power to get yourself into trouble if you aren't careful. If you want to be one of the first boats at the card stops in all but the roughest of conditions, the 36 with decent power would be the tool of choice... but you might find it a little boring in calmer water.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:56 PM
Registered

Thanks SS, I am looking very seriously at a 32B. I may have to tune my motors down somewhat based on your comments and that of Peter at Skater. He believes that a 32B with 850 horses per side would climb over 140. I am used to a staggered Top Gun which didn't care what the conditions were like, but, then again, was no where near 140 obviously. I need to take some baby steps in the Skater.......
Old 08-18-2014, 06:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro
I have owned my 32 Classic for 14 years.
I think about going to a 36 everyday. With over 1,500 hours on my 32, I still can't justify the extra $. I run my boat a lot. Sure the 36 would be more comfortable but fuel cost alone I think would be a least t triple. I can run from CT to Shelter Island NY then over to Watch Hill RI on 50 gallons of fuel. Yes, I do cross the Sound at 50 MPH but then I cruise at 85 to 92 MPH.
Here is a little video.
Yes we should have had our vests on in the big stuff.

https://danlandryvideos.shutterfly.com/pictures/29
I enjoyed your video Hydro, great job!
Old 08-19-2014, 07:05 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thedonz
Thanks SS, I am looking very seriously at a 32B. I may have to tune my motors down somewhat based on your comments and that of Peter at Skater. He believes that a 32B with 850 horses per side would climb over 140. I am used to a staggered Top Gun which didn't care what the conditions were like, but, then again, was no where near 140 obviously. I need to take some baby steps in the Skater.......
Come for a ride in mine. I really like it 115 with 5 people decent fuel load and 525's
Steve
Old 08-21-2014, 03:41 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by thedonz
I have naturally aspirated 572's single dominator 10:1 at about 650hp per side at 127mph (Real number not make believe). So I would say 140 with 850's is no issue.

Last edited by Pro1; 08-21-2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:52 AM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by smiklos@sunprint
Come for a ride in mine. I really like it 115 with 5 people decent fuel load and 525's
Steve
The most fun I have ever had running a Skater was Steve Macs' 36 Skater doing 90 to 110 mph in 3s' with the occasional 5' wave to keep you on your toes. Steve had the boat setup to run 160+ with some 41 Herrings. After the run from Miami to Gilberts' I told Steve I would be happy if his 36 never ran above 115 mph as it was as much fun as running my little 25' Talon in 2.5' lake chop.
Steve Miklos, I have seen you and your 32' at Jacksonville and a few other runs and I think your setup for an i/o is perfect. IIRC you are running bravos also. All fun with great reliability and little maintenance. I will come introduce myself next time we are in the same location.

Bob

Last edited by bulletbob; 08-22-2014 at 05:54 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.