Electric / Hydraulic Brake Actuator >

Electric / Hydraulic Brake Actuator

Notices

Electric / Hydraulic Brake Actuator

Old 06-20-2015, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric / Hydraulic Brake Actuator

Didn't know where to post this so did it here as it is a Skater on the trailer.

Is anyone here running the electric/hydraulic actuators on their trailers?

When my trailer was refurbished I had both axles set up with disc brakes. It stops awesome but backing up is frustrating. The slightest backing up and it just locks those disc brakes rite up and you will skid the wheels trying to make it move. The trailer has a surge actuator now and even with the solenoid wired to the back up lights still not completely isolating the surge activation. The only way I can back up is by putting a steel block in the actuator so it can't activate the brakes and its a pain.

Thinking of converting to the electric/hydraulic actuator. Was hoping to get some feedback before pulling the trigger as it's about $1,000.00 in parts alone to do the conversion. That's not including any labor or modifications that will need to be done.

Anyone who's running it have any issues with them?
Old 06-20-2015, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Onetime
You may want to check the valve, I have the electric solenoid that is tied to the reverse lights and it works great.
Also the standard skater tongue has a manual lockout as well when moving the trailer with a fork lift.
I was considering the electric one as well.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:53 PM
Registered

Which surge actuator do you have? Mine is a Titan and has no mechanical lock out. I had to make a steel block that I put in the actuator and its a pain in the but dealing with.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:55 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Dozens of threads in doing EoH conversions; do a search.

It's worth EVERY PENNY of the upgrade cost.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Onetime
Which surge actuator do you have? Mine is a Titan and has no mechanical lock out. I had to make a steel block that I put in the actuator and its a pain in the but dealing with.
Onetime, I have a Titan surge system on my 28 trailer. I can move the boat around with my Polaris Ranger with no problem even on gravel or grass! I agree with Ron that it is your solenoid check valve. I would replace it or try to energize it from another source to check it.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:21 AM
Registered

Thanks for the input. I feel a little foolish because I didn't see the Trucks and Towing Forum!

Seems anyone running the electric/hydraulic systems are very happy with them. Maybe part of the reason I'm having the problem is the four wheel disc brakes. Even with the solenoid it seems the brakes are partially engaged from the previous stop and then the solenoid engages keeping the brakes on. The four wheel discs are amazing as I can feel them stopping the truck when engaging. All good rolling down the road. It's only when I'm at the launch ramp or anyplace else when backing up I have to get out and put my steel block in to keep the surge actuator from engaging.

Taboma, guessing you have a 12 volt supply feeding the solenoid with your Polaris when you back up the boat.
Part of the reason I'm thinking about the change is I want to move the boat with my tractor to a garage that's down a hill. Don't want the boat to overtake the tractor going down the hill! Figured I could wire the tractor for the controller and use the brakes, just as needed, while pushing the boat down the hill.

Anybody have any experience with the Hydrastar electric actuator?
Old 06-21-2015, 09:41 AM
Registered

Yep, That is what I did for my Polaris. Just wire a switch on your tractor that energizes the solenoid with 12V when you want to back up. I have 4 wheel discs as well with no problem. You may have stuck of corroded caliper pistons. Have you changed your brake fluid lately?
Old 06-21-2015, 10:48 AM
Registered

All the braking system is about a year old.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Zero Patience
The surge brake has been replaced by electric over hydraulic.
And the 300XS has been replaced with the Verado 400!!!....???? Really?
Old 06-21-2015, 07:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Keep smiling

Last edited by Zero Patience; 06-22-2015 at 03:48 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.