Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Skater
318 Skater prop testing and continued dial in. >

318 Skater prop testing and continued dial in.

Notices

318 Skater prop testing and continued dial in.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Nastybug
Hey Ron, Merc props are 5 blade 33 pitch cleavers 15 dia 15 degree rake. Yea I know with more rake the bow will carry better and I won't need so much trim to keep it up. I could direct the force of the props further back and not have them directing upward so much. Is that not correct. Dave felt the same way and may pick up a few mph. At least it could give me a better running attitude.
It will be an interesting outcome if the "CUSTOM" built merc props made specifically for your Skater become your back-ups as they under perform to the Dewald's,

I am not sure how the aero and hydrodynaics of your boat differ from the 28's ( including CG) but the Dewald profile is the go-to prop for them - Merc's work / Dewald's perform!

Congrat's on getting your baby into the water....very long time coming!
Old 03-17-2016, 08:23 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro
How many miles do you run in a day of boating? I torture my myself every trip trying to carry as little fuel as possible. 40 gallons a side is what I carry. My Skater is a 32' Classic with 300X motors. I average about 2 miles per gallon. The few times I fill mine is running Key Largo to Key West or Long Island sound running to Block Island.
I would think your 400's would be very efficient motors. Once you figure out the range your boat has I would leave the extra fuel at the gas dock.
For the record I run out of fuel about once a year. Lol it Always happens when we add a dinner stop to a long day of boating.
Hey Hydro, The Bay by me is 35 miles long with a few rivers you can cruise up a few miles. As Sam said Im not worried about losing the top end that much. I can run with my girlfriend and me around 108mph with full tanks. (220 gallons). I would normally not carry that much but I didn't feel like going back to gas dock for a while. Thats 1300lbs of fuel. I plan on normally filling up to half tanks. About 60 to 70 gallons a side. About 700 to 800lbs. I should be able to run around 110 to 112mph with the two of us which will be the normal passenger load 90% of the time. As others have said most of my time will be spent between 80 to 90mph. Like I stated earlier the boat ran full tanks 6 guys at 98mph and was getting 1.75 mpg. Thats good enough for me.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:48 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Steve - Love the numbers you are getting, and really love the great pictures of your boat in the Speed On The Water print magazine!
Old 04-24-2016, 10:05 PM
VIP Member

Hey Guys, Haven't forgot about this info thread but the weather has been terrible so far this Spring. Just getting tolerable here last week or so. Rained it seemed like for a whole month. Still have to get in touch with Dewald for props he has been working on. Will do that soon. Have been out for a few rides and it seems like the motors may be loosening up a bit. Is that possible. I haven't run her alone yet but have ran some wide open missions a few times. Was out the other day with 4 people. Me my girlfriend my neighbor(300pounds) and his wife(at 150pounds) and about 90 gallons of fuel. Almost a half tank and Saint Ruth got to 110, 111mph. That last 5 mph takes a while but she slowly kept climbing to just over 110 and may have had a tiny bit left to squeak out but not much.. I thought that was pretty good with all the people and all. Plus I have all my bumpers anchor and other supplies on board. I felt that if we saw 106 with that weight it would have been great. It was cool to be able to bring the four of us and still hit that mark. Any way thats all I have for now. I should have more stuff like videos now that weather is getting better.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:49 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

those 400R's are beginning to look more and more appealing!! nice numbers steve!
Old 04-25-2016, 02:40 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by LAriverratt
those 400R's are beginning to look more and more appealing!! nice numbers steve!
Hey La, I love the motors but thats me and I have nothing else to compare them to really. Went for a ride in Sam's boat and it was beautiful and fast but I really didn't pay that much attention to the motors. I know mine are much smoother. The other day when I was out I got up on plane and pushed the throttles all the way forward and kept popping the trim up to see how acceleration really is. The boat pulls pretty hard all the way over 105mph. Now "Pretty Hard" is a term open for interpretation. I haven't been in a big I/O boat and I bet they pull very hard. Unless you ride in a 400 boat you'll never know. I do know that it pulls much harder than my 21 Checkmate with merc 250ProXS. That was light too. 2000lbs dry with motor and it ran hard. Whoever puts themselves in the spot of upgrading to the 400s has to make that decision for themselves whether its worth it or not. For some it may work and others it may not. With a fresh build I can't imagine not doing it. The fact that it ran 111mph with 85 gallons and 4 people aboard seemed very good to me. Also spoke to Dave Dewald earlier today and he is sending me a set of props tomorrow so I will have some additional info to post soon. Steve.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:46 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

111 with 4 onboard and that much fuel is MORE than respectable!
Old 04-25-2016, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Great runs Steve. Looking forward to what Dave does with the props. I know he has sent a bunch of stuff over to X Cat. I am sure we will see improvements through out their season.
Also looking forward to seeing Bill's 308 run soon.
I have not had 4 people in mine but have seen 108 down here in fresh water 2 people and 60 gallons on board.
Ran out of prop. I am also waiting for some Dewalds to keep testing.
We need some videos!!!!!!
Old 04-25-2016, 09:05 PM
Registered

Ron sorry I missed your call today, talk tomorrow. Johny is testing my boat on Tuesday next week, he said he has props comming from mercury to test. ? we will see
Old 04-26-2016, 01:02 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
Great runs Steve. Looking forward to what Dave does with the props. I know he has sent a bunch of stuff over to X Cat. I am sure we will see improvements through out their season.
Also looking forward to seeing Bill's 308 run soon.
I have not had 4 people in mine but have seen 108 down here in fresh water 2 people and 60 gallons on board.
Ran out of prop. I am also waiting for some Dewalds to keep testing.
We need some videos!!!!!!
Hey Ron, He is sending me a set of 33 pitch 15.5 dia and 20 degree rake. I think thats the rake. Bravo style hub I believe. In talking we felt the stern needed a bit more lift and then the additional rake would level out the ride attitude better. He said they ran on the X Cat boats very well. We will see. Im curious about the Diameter but we can always take some off. Im hoping with the rake I won't need as much trim. When I had the boat out of the water about a week ago I had a chance to look at the trim angles I was running. Get on plane at about 12% thats tucked in a bit. I run when on plane at 27% which has the propshaft level with the bottom of the boat. when I get up around 80-85 I bump up to about 30% and Running hard up over 40%. Maybe 43 44 or so. Before I looked at it I had the feeling the trim angle was very steep but after seeing it on the trailer and having Danny Crank run the trim up and down to show me what the different angles looked like it really is not that much positive trim. Its just a bit higher than level. Nothing like I thought it was gonna be. When the boat is running hard on plane with the nose up a bit and the trim is say 44% the propshaft is pretty close to running level with the water line maybe a hair positive. Sounds like your rig is running great. Congrats on all your hard work. She's awesome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.