Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Skater
318 Skater prop testing and continued dial in. >

318 Skater prop testing and continued dial in.

Notices

318 Skater prop testing and continued dial in.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:15 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[ATTACH=CONFIG]559836[/ATTACH]

So Ill have some more info coming next week guys. I have been having so much fun just running around all over the place in my boat that screwing around with the set up has been the last thing on my mind. I did get the set of Dewald props from Dave that I have been waiting on for a while. He is a very busy man and does excellent work which puts him in high demand. I received a set of 34 pitch 15.25 diameter and 20 degree rake roughly from him 2 weeks ago but I had to get together with my Mechanic to widen the bushing inside so I could get them on my propshafts. Wasn't hard to do at all Im just stupid like that. Im gonna run them next week as I have to go away this weekend and its raining for the next couple days.

I did get out a few days ago and ran the above vessel view pic. It is not a higher top end but I did run 114mph with 2 people on board and about 110 gallons of fuel. The indicator says 96 gallons I think but I have the total gallons set a 190 so I have a reserve of 30 gallons. It holds 110 gallons a side. The guys at Mercury Racing were able to hit that number with one guy and about 50 plus gallons of fuel I believe. I ran with about 500more lbs of weight than they did that day. The interesting part is that my Port motor was turning 7073rpm and my starboard was at approx 6775rpm.Thats 300 rpm difference. Could be the props are off. Im hoping the Dewalds are accurate and show those numbers closer together. Im also gonna have my Merc props checked out as a lot of props can be way off on their measurements. I think if I had my Dewalds on I could have picked up a few. Ill know more after I run them in this nice cooler air we've been having. The other night when I ran the above it was about 70 out. Ive also checked and rechecked engine heights. If that motor is off by that much and its something that can be corrected I would have to believe Id be running up a few more mph easily. Just picking up the rpm with the Merc props on with 33 pitch id be up a few mph for sure and almost on limiters. With 34 pitch or the Dewalds id have to pick up 2 to 3 mph easily. I know in the end its not where I run all the time and the conditions are optimal for running top end numbers but its the game were in and we have to have something to shoot for. Im hoping to see 117mph before the boat comes out of the water for the season. Its within my grasp with just changing out the props to my new Dewalds as the port motor was pretty well tapped out on power.
Attached Thumbnails 318 Skater prop testing and continued dial in.-20160925_181930-0-.jpg  
Old 09-28-2016, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Steve, Glad to hear you are enjoying the boat and being able to do what we all wish we could do! GO BOATING!
It wil be interesting to see what happens with the Dewalds.
Thanks for posting!
Now it is Sam's turn! He has different props to run as well. Also I heard they are running the 318 in the coming days at Mercury so that should shed some more light on whether the notch proves to be a big difference maker or not.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 222 Posts

Glad to hear you got the Dewalds on it, and it's already running equal or better to the $10k set of Merc props. I'm certain that once Dave get's done dialing them in for you, that you'll see the 117 you're after on a cool day with a light load. That's doing VERY well for how big/heavy your pleasure-palace setup is! You've got to be more than happy with your beautiful boat! And it will be interesting to see how the black/white 318 that was just finished up runs. I believe it's a very similar build to yours, just with that small notch in the transom.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:11 PM
VIP Member

Yea Ron. There are some differences in that boat from mine. I think more or less the same weight. We will see what the notch can do. and also if they try any different prop sizes on it or whether they turn the props in or out. With my boat they started turning out but with the props they were using and none worked well or held the bow up they decided to have them turn in. Towards the end of testing is when they brought out the CNC 5 blade cleaver props. Originally they tried 14.5 diameter and then 15 diameter. They really ran out of time as they were just testing the 15 inch dia ones when Tony and I showed up for the ride and photo shoot. I think they have a better starting point this time and won't waste time eliminating all the other props they tried on my boat. Im pretty sure they never switched the lowers back to turn out when they started with the CNC props on my boat. I bet my merc props would have no problem holding the bow and may be a bit faster in the end turning out.These are things I will have to do on my own which is ok with me. I would expect this new boat to be a bit faster than mine. The set up is different right off the bat and since they won't waste so much time with what props to run starting out they can fiddle around with engine heights and running the lowers in or out. I have the best wishes for them because as anything they try will give all of us some direction to go in. That being said because the feeling that I think i can get better with just props right now I think its gotta end up much closer to 120 than I did. It just makes sense I think. who knows. We will see. As you know its not an exact science and every boat is different. Would love it if it got to 120mph. I think that would be so cool for Skater and the new owner.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:17 PM
VIP Member

Ha. Don't have the Dewalds on yet as the bushings were too tight. Just got them fixed up today and will run them next week as Im going out of town till Sunday. Im betting that Ill pick up 2mph from them once I find the correct engine height. They need to run a bit lower than the Mercs do. We will see. I have faith. Ive seen them run faster than the Mercs pitch for pitch. They just need more depth. Mine are 15.25 instead of 15 dia. Should be very interesting.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:56 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Well I have 3 sets of 32's to run this weekend. Merc's, Dewalds, and my old BBlabe bravos for kicks and grins. Stay tuned.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Nastybug
Yea Ron. There are some differences in that boat from mine. I think more or less the same weight. We will see what the notch can do. and also if they try any different prop sizes on it or whether they turn the props in or out. With my boat they started turning out but with the props they were using and none worked well or held the bow up they decided to have them turn in. Towards the end of testing is when they brought out the CNC 5 blade cleaver props. Originally they tried 14.5 diameter and then 15 diameter. They really ran out of time as they were just testing the 15 inch dia ones when Tony and I showed up for the ride and photo shoot. I think they have a better starting point this time and won't waste time eliminating all the other props they tried on my boat. Im pretty sure they never switched the lowers back to turn out when they started with the CNC props on my boat. I bet my merc props would have no problem holding the bow and may be a bit faster in the end turning out.These are things I will have to do on my own which is ok with me. I would expect this new boat to be a bit faster than mine. The set up is different right off the bat and since they won't waste so much time with what props to run starting out they can fiddle around with engine heights and running the lowers in or out. I have the best wishes for them because as anything they try will give all of us some direction to go in. That being said because the feeling that I think i can get better with just props right now I think its gotta end up much closer to 120 than I did. It just makes sense I think. who knows. We will see. As you know its not an exact science and every boat is different. Would love it if it got to 120mph. I think that would be so cool for Skater and the new owner.
Steve we ran the CNC merc's and Dewalds in and out on my boat in Miami. John and I found that the CNC Merc's were fastest and faster when running in. They also allowed a higher position for the motor.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:52 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 222 Posts

Which way are all of you guys spinning - in or out? My 30 handled HORRIBLY when spinning in. As soon as we changed the drives to spin out, it became an entirely different boat. The 30 w/ 300XSs that my buddy had for a season was set up spinning in, and drove great though. I've always run my 28s spinning out. I plan on starting spinning out when we get the 400Rs on my 30 - unless you guys all tell me the outboard 30s suck spinning out!
Old 09-29-2016, 12:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Skater30
Which way are all of you guys spinning - in or out? My 30 handled HORRIBLY when spinning in. As soon as we changed the drives to spin out, it became an entirely different boat. The 30 w/ 300XSs that my buddy had for a season was set up spinning in, and drove great though. I've always run my 28s spinning out. I plan on starting spinning out when we get the 400Rs on my 30 - unless you guys all tell me the outboard 30s suck spinning out!
We tested all props in and out in July. We were faster spinning in with less porpoise and it was almost non existent with the Merc CNC props. So I'm spinning in now. Same as with my 300XS's. There was no noticeable difference in handling and JT agreed on that with me. I was originally going to spin out due to additional weight and higher motors but the hull handles them fine spinning in and the porpoise was less spinning in. Bill is spinning out and said he did not like the way the boat handles spinning in. I have not seen that yet.

As for props we were faster by a couple of MPH with the Merc CNC props. They also hooked up and had a better mid range acceleration. The Merc CNC are over hub and heavier. Dewalds are thru hub and thinner. I have asked Dave if he can build a set of over the hub. I think the hub kills the hole shot planning and mid range also suffers. I'm still testing. I can say the Dewalds are very well made and for lighter boats they probably will prove faster as seen on Racing circuit. We varied the Jackplate hieght for both and the Dewalds required a lower hieght. I'm running a new set is 32 Dewalds and 32 merc's this weekend and condition should be much better. So we will see.

I did not get the 33's to rev limiters with the load and conditions I tested without over trimming. Since I actually have passengers, upholstery, fenders, lines, ice chest, food, stereo, tools and fuel onboard when I boat I'm opting for smaller pitch in an attempt to get the motor into its best power band above 6800 RPM.

So far I'm at 109 with 33" Dewalds spinning in and high temps and humidity approx 2 1/4" up. Flat fresh
water. In Miami we could run higher straight but lost water pressure when turning. I'm not sure but my not knotch appears to be 12"+or- I'll measure it.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:19 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Skater30
Dale,
When I got the boat it was set up turning in. Tried turning out only once but not enough test data to support anything yet as it was at the of a testing day and we were on the limiters. I agree with you in the past turning out has always been the best. I will say though in confidence this boat with Dewald 5 blade cleavers it handles very well turning in (except around dock LOL) and very little or no porpoise. As soon as it cools of in a month or so will resume some more testing and plan to swap rotation with a complete test to see what happens.
Regarding Bill's boat I think he said it handled better turning out but when they were testing down here it ran about the same speeds. I believe Sams boat down here was a tick faster turning in if I remember correctly?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.