OB Skater CG Discussions >

OB Skater CG Discussions

Notices

OB Skater CG Discussions

Old 04-19-2016, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default OB Skater CG Discussions

Thought I would start a new thread rather than hijack someone else's. Here is some video footage of the x cats running with 400r's.
The Austrailan boat has it right. If the video does not play I had to tape the blank box and it appeared.

https://www.facebook.com/nonsolomare...7962075004233/
Old 04-19-2016, 08:16 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Video Ron, Guess all that extra weight doesn't matter that much there. They seemed to have balanced their rigs pretty nicely. Wonder if they have any balast added to the front end.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you look close most of the boats have filled in the notch in the back, so they run better in the rough.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:11 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 521 Likes on 168 Posts

The Gold Coast boat looks a bit bigger?

They all sounded pretty good though.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 70 Likes on 28 Posts

Gold Coast is a Doug Wright so it should be the 32.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:57 PM
Registered

Received 384 Likes on 247 Posts

Photo Credit: xcatracing.com

Old 04-19-2016, 11:48 PM
Registered

Received 70 Likes on 28 Posts

Doug Wright actually asked Gold Coast how they balanced the boat with the additional weight of the 400Rs. They replied it was balancing well and that no additional ballast in the front was needed for flat conditions. So does this imply that they have ballast up front and didn't have to add to it or that they have none and didn't need to put some in?
Old 04-20-2016, 05:49 AM
Registered

Received 567 Likes on 329 Posts

Changing the rig from 2.5L to the 400's is a major shift to the rear in CG.

When Bam had Ron/TNT Marine redo his 28' SKATER with the XS' the CG shifted. JT's fix was to drop off 2x 80lb sacks of concrete (1 at the front of each sponson). We all know JT is a bit of a magician on throttles but his exerience setting up a boat is to notch and would have known how much that amount of weight would influence a pleasure boat and that it was required...

A bare bones race hull would indicate an exact amount of weight has been added or shifted forward within the boat to get them to fly true depending on each teams preference on how to counteract the weight of the 400's.... and a lighter boat is a faster boat when the power is equal on efficient hulls

Last edited by speicher lane; 04-20-2016 at 05:51 AM.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:05 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

We may never really know for sure. Most race teams keep their set ups to themselves and not share anything. There was ballast and a ballast tank in the Mobil one boat and no one knew anything. I am sure they did something in the rigging. You cannot hang that kind of weight on the back and not do something.
Regarding the step in the transom the set back acts like a step if the motors were mounted on the back of our skaters with no set backs.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Double Rigged View Post
We may never really know for sure. Most race teams keep their set ups to themselves and not share anything. There was ballast and a ballast tank in the Mobil one boat and no one knew anything. I am sure they did something in the rigging. You cannot hang that kind of weight on the back and not do something.
Regarding the step in the transom the set back acts like a step if the motors were mounted on the back of our skaters with no set backs.
Great thread, Ron! Regarding the transom setback, it is my understanding that steps are there to aerate the hull to release it from the water. If so, what is the effect of the setback? It appears that it allows water to rise behind it which effectively puts more of the gear case bullet into the water stream?? and give more leverage to the force of the prop??? As you recommended, hopefully soon I will start testing CG changes on my Skater. I was more than impressed with the attitude of the X-Cats!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.