Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Skater
Mercury 5 blade cleavers for 400Rs >

Mercury 5 blade cleavers for 400Rs

Notices

Mercury 5 blade cleavers for 400Rs

Old 10-16-2016, 05:19 PM
Registered

Received 773 Likes on 219 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback Sam, and yes, I've noticed a tendency for all the 400R 30s to run bow high in the videos I've seen. Mine will be setup to not run like that. The goal is for my 30 to want negative trim for it's best top speed #, just as my 28 and my 30 w/ ASD setup did. I won't be using low water pickups, as Mercury voids the warranties if you do (according to Pete), and the motors will be mounted on manual jackplates, not hydraulic. I've been talking to Shaun Torrente a lot about my project (he's providing my engine brackets), and using his knowledge of X-Cats in some of my decisions. He drives one of the Victory X-Cats, as well as provides the motor brackets to most all of the teams. He has a lot of first-hand setup knowledge from the fastest 30'-32' cats in the world.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my 30 with 400s the motors have to be as high as you can get them. I have hydrolic plates and as you raise them the boat really takes off, then water pressure goes away, but you can feel how it likes high x dimentions. We are putting scoops on the gearcases plus bigger water ramps. I have found a lower rake prop allows higher trim which will give you higher water pressure so you can raise the motor a little more. Best speed we have seen is 117 on the limiter.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Equalizer
On my 30 with 400s the motors have to be as high as you can get them. I have hydrolic plates and as you raise them the boat really takes off, then water pressure goes away, but you can feel how it likes high x dimentions. We are putting scoops on the gearcases plus bigger water ramps. I have found a lower rake prop allows higher trim which will give you higher water pressure so you can raise the motor a little more. Best speed we have seen is 117 on the limiter.
Thanks for the info! And yes, from what I've heard, gearcase height is more critical with these 400R gearcases than the traditional 3.0/3.2 Sportmaster gearcases. I do think big #s are attainable with the standard low-water pickups though. So far, the two fastest 30'+ cats with 400Rs are both picking up water through the stock gearcases - and running into the 120s. Interesting that you are putting scoops on your gearcases - I've seen those on a few of the X-Cat gearcases.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont get to caught up in the one off numbers you see that people post. All the outboard cat manufactures are giving a best case scenario. Every 400 boat i have spoke to the owners or have been in, with gas and above 60 deg will slow down, alot. You will see a solid 15+ MPH over the 300xs and all the other benefits that go with the Verados. Good luck its a great investment.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 26 Posts

Dont get to caught up in the one off numbers you see that people post. All the outboard cat manufactures are giving a best case scenario. Every 400 boat i have spoke to the owners or have been in, with gas and above 60 deg will slow down, alot. You will see a solid 15+ MPH over the 300xs and all the other benefits that go with the Verados. Good luck its a great investment.
My DW 32 with 400's runs 120 with 4 people and fuel every time out and runs 122-123 with two people and 50 gallons on the limiters. I have run consistently in temps as high as 85 degrees with humiduty being in the 80% range. If there has been as difference in performance it is 1 maybe 2 mph at most with my setup. I just got a set of 34" Mercs to try but the weather has been bad. Hoping to get in the water this week sometime. I know the boat will run 125. It accelerates right to that number where it hits the limiters with the 33" Merc CNC clevers. The 15 degree rake works so well on these Merc props. The boat runs flat, is balanced and accelerates HARD. I just think the Merc props are a great setup for all around use. Get on plane like a ski boat, accelerate, great handling and top end. Complete package!
Old 10-21-2016, 09:15 AM
Registered

Thanks for the advice. As for me, I'll be losing 30 mph over my previous setup - twin 800hp Sterlings and Arneson drives. I've had three 28 Skaters, one which ran 120 with XSs, so I am pretty familiar with the numbers game when it comes to weight and temperature with low horsepower setups. I am hearing the 400Rs hold up well to weight though. The latest 318 ran 119 with Tyson and Pete in the front seats and over 100 gallons of fuel on board. At the end of the day, Pete got out and Tyson ran the boat by himself with only 60 gallons of fuel on board and it ran 120mph - only lost 1 mph. This was partially due to the fact that they were already on the rev limiters with 33s though (and the temps/humidity were low). Tyson then ran the boat by himself with 34s and ran 122. Daren has also said his DW32 will run over 120 with 5 people on board, again, partially due to being underpropped. As time goes on, and the boat manufacturers/prop builders get more time with these new setups, the boats will all get faster. Please keep us posted as to your setup changes and test results! We're all here to help eachother out with this new combination of 400Rs on 30'+ boats.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:20 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Pulls hard to 120 with people in the boat too!
Old 10-21-2016, 09:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ktron
My DW 32 with 400's runs 120 with 4 people and fuel every time out and runs 122-123 with two people and 50 gallons on the limiters. I have run consistently in temps as high as 85 degrees with humiduty being in the 80% range. If there has been as difference in performance it is 1 maybe 2 mph at most with my setup. I just got a set of 34" Mercs to try but the weather has been bad. Hoping to get in the water this week sometime. I know the boat will run 125. It accelerates right to that number where it hits the limiters with the 33" Merc CNC clevers. The 15 degree rake works so well on these Merc props. The boat runs flat, is balanced and accelerates HARD. I just think the Merc props are a great setup for all around use. Get on plane like a ski boat, accelerate, great handling and top end. Complete package!
That's funny Daren, you posted as I was writing my post! Your 32 is still the fastest 400R setup on the water - it's badass! I have no doubts that your 32 will post 125 and beyond when you finally get good weather/water conditions. I'd already heard the 34s worked well for you, and that you were keeping them. Keep us posted as you get new data on your setup. I know I have a long road ahead of me with setup and prop testing when my rig gets completed.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Skater30
That's funny Daren, you posted as I was writing my post! Your 32 is still the fastest 400R setup on the water - it's badass! I have no doubts that your 32 will post 125 and beyond when you finally get good weather/water conditions. I'd already heard the 34s worked well for you, and that you were keeping them. Keep us posted as you get new data on your setup. I know I have a long road ahead of me with setup and prop testing when my rig gets completed.
Believe me, I can't wait to see your setup when done. Going to be Killer!!
Old 10-21-2016, 01:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ktron
Believe me, I can't wait to see your setup when done. Going to be Killer!!
Thanks Daren, I hope so! I'm glad you're about dialed in so I know better where to start with mine. It seems like the Merc 5 blades are working better than the Dewalds for everyone with the 400Rs. I'm not certain what is so different from our pleasure cats and the X-Cats, because most those guys seem to be running Dewalds and Herings. I already have Dave building me a set of 5 blades, but I also plan to get my hands on a set of Merc 5 blades to test as well. I'm actually really looking forward to starting from scratch again with my rig - half the fun of what we do is testing and seeing gains!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.