Probably to a fault

Will always have Skaters and probably nothing else
Enjoy the hop then BAM

MDS
Old 11-25-2016, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnmiffco
the 18 degree rake is probably why u have such a large porpous window with the extra bow weight for rough
rake is trying to lift bow at lower speeds but not enough speed for tunnel to hold it
if tried old school 15 degree x32 may close the gap for the rough set up
as stated motor height plays big role if set up for max speed up high more slippage
and with bow weight for rough ,,may be fighting each other to hold bow below 80
What brand?
Old 11-25-2016, 03:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by stimleck
Buy a DCB?
No

Like saying you'll only be sore for a little while and lots of people are doing it now.
Old 11-25-2016, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 33 Posts

the old humpback 4 bladed cleavers have always been a all around good working prop on 24&28s,,,
david has been making some awesome props but has went to higher rake for these new hulls
that are wider and longer so they need more bow lift
wish u were close to tx/la as I have just finished rerigging a 28 with 280s and hump 32s
1st time out did all I wanted,,,,,props @ 1 1/2" with 4" set back had smooth ride in 2' chop
didn't run in glass to see porpous window,,,,as we runs bay and gulf waters
would let u try em,,,,but not mine to send off
do u have ur batteries up front or just ballast weight,,,,
as I put the batteries in front of dash bulkhead down in the tunnel for rough set up
what motors u have
as take some the weight out if not batteries and see how feels and porpoise changes,,,,,
if motors above 1 5/8 ,,,try lowering to see if porpoise changes
couple things to try ,,,,,,beside buying props as daves props are nice
would be nice to find some humps or even 3 blades to borrow just to see if it is the rake
Old 11-25-2016, 05:49 PM
Registered

^^^Thanks for the suggestions

I'm going to try to reduce some of the weight first and maybe lower motors. I'm also going to look for some other props to try.
Old 11-25-2016, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 222 Posts

the old humpback 4 bladed cleavers have always been a all around good working prop on 24&28s,,,
david has been making some awesome props but has went to higher rake for these new hulls
that are wider and longer so they need more bow lift
wish u were close to tx/la as I have just finished rerigging a 28 with 280s and hump 32s
1st time out did all I wanted,,,,,props @ 1 1/2" with 4" set back had smooth ride in 2' chop
didn't run in glass to see porpous window,,,,as we runs bay and gulf waters
would let u try em,,,,but not mine to send off
do u have ur batteries up front or just ballast weight,,,,
as I put the batteries in front of dash bulkhead down in the tunnel for rough set up
what motors u have
as take some the weight out if not batteries and see how feels and porpoise changes,,,,,
if motors above 1 5/8 ,,,try lowering to see if porpoise changes
couple things to try ,,,,,,beside buying props as daves props are nice
would be nice to find some humps or even 3 blades to borrow just to see if it is the rake
It's not the Dewalds. I've run Merc 3 blade cleavers, Merc 4 blade humpback cleavers, Blasters, Bravo 1s and Dewalds all on my same '07 28 - the porpoise never changed more than about a 5mph total spread (the Bravo 1s settle it down the most, but are slow). I've heard guys that run the tunnel tab say it really helps settle down the porpoise, but I've never run one on any of my 28s, so I have no personal experience with them.
Old 11-25-2016, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 33 Posts

did u run 18 deg dewalds
im just tossing out suggestions,,,,
i added rake to the cleavers for my vee
and tried on a skater and the slip on bow drop and porpous was worse
his spread is further than normal high 50s -80
as stated try the weight 1st ,,,,lots just for the test
Old 11-25-2016, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 222 Posts

did u run 18 deg dewalds
im just tossing out suggestions,,,,
i added rake to the cleavers for my vee
and tried on a skater and the slip on bow drop and porpous was worse
his spread is further than normal high 50s -80
as stated try the weight 1st ,,,,lots just for the test
Yes, all the Dewalds (I ran a total of 5 different sets of Dave's 4 blades, w/ my 35s being the "magic" 120mph set) I ran on my 28 over the past two years were all his newest 18 degree props. And I don't blame you for throwing that out there - when I went from 14 degree Merc 5 blade cleavers to 18 degree Herring 5 blade cleavers on my Sterling/ASD 30, the porpoise was WAY worse. But all my experience with different props on my 28s didn't ever have a drastic effect on the porpoise like they did on my ASD boat. Of all the combinations I've tried (probably a hundred when you count all the different 28/engine/setup/prop combinations I've tried through the past 15 years), the only props I can say noticeably help settle the porpoise are the Bravo 1s. And not only on my 28s, but my friend's 30 Skater/300XSs and another friend's 27 Daytona/300XSs. For whatever reason, the Bravo 1s definitely settle the hop on every twin engine outboard cat I've run them on. They're slow on the top end, but quite good in the midrange cruise. I don't personally run them (other than to test here and there), because they're always several mph slower than all the other props I run. I do have friends that run them though, just because they tone down the porpoise and they provide good cruise #s. Like I said earlier, my 28 with just about any set of "fast" props would start porpoising at 45mph, and stop at 70mph. The one day I ran a set of Bravo 1 34s, it didn't start hopping until 48 and settled down around 67/68. Narrowed the window of hop from 25mph to 20mph - which was noticeable!
Old 11-25-2016, 07:52 PM
Registered

Ok.....what are these bravo 1s you speak of?

I really only care about ride at this point.

If I want to go top speed ape **** fast I'll get in my 40.

Also have a 40 Skater race boat now to go do other crazy ****.

My 28 was purchased to be my reliable go for a boat ride cooler than a pontoon...so I really don't care if it goes 90 or 120mph.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.