Different kind of decks and widths >

Different kind of decks and widths

Notices

Different kind of decks and widths

Old 11-01-2020, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Different kind of decks and widths

What are the differences in decks that skaters have? Example what's a flat deck? Classic deck? Etc
what about widths? Like widebody etc
Thank-you just trying to learn all I can about skaters
Old 11-02-2020, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

The flat decks are custom made, their is no specific mold for them. Like the name suggest they are flat and either have a windshield or canopies. The older or more original skaters might refer to classic deck. Those are standard more traditional decks that come out of a mold. The early skaters all had standard or "classic" decks then I believe between race boats that had capsules and the start of 1/4 canopies and windshields skater started offering more flat decks as people like the way they look. I would say at this time most of what comes out of the factory are flat decks.

Skater is truly a custom builder so allot of the boats that come out of there even if they have the same bottom they might have different profiles, decks, or bussle changes. Regarding the width or "widebody" again they are a custom builder so some boats they cut down the tunnel and add width to or have newer molds that have increased tunnel width.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:46 AM
Registered

Thank-you! So for someone to want a widebody they would want for stability in rough seas or racing I'm assuming? Does that option slow the boat down because there is more surface area in the water?
Old 11-02-2020, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

the wide body allows for a higher volume of air to be trapped/packed into the tunnel = lighter hull running on the surface of the water = faster hull vs. narrow tunnel with same HP
Old 11-02-2020, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Fresh
Thank-you! So for someone to want a widebody they would want for stability in rough seas or racing I'm assuming? Does that option slow the boat down because there is more surface area in the water?

The wider hulls do increase stability and some people do it to increase seating. For example some of the most recent skaters are 8 seaters and they generally are the wider models. The increased width does not slow them down and as mentioned above packing more air in the tunnel might actually add speed. I say might as if you look at a 30 skater vs a 318 they are the same running surface but the 318 is wider and with 400r power their top speeds don't seem to be any different.
Old 11-02-2020, 05:01 PM
Registered

Good info thanks