31SS steering

Notices

31SS steering

Old 04-01-2006, 02:07 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 31SS steering

Guys, did Sonic offer just external steering on the 31SS or were they ALL full hydraulic to the helm? or was full hydraulic to helm an option? What brand steering system did they offer on the 2000's?

Did Sonic mount all the trim pumps, battery switches, etc on the firewall near rear bench seat? or did they mount them on the transom?

How is and where is the storage on the 31? Is there compartments under the v-berth? in cabin? Under rear bench?

How is access in the engine compartment? Winterizing etc..

Are new Gaffrig gauges easily installed to replace the Faria?

Anything else you care to add to the pro's and con's to the 31SS is appreciated.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 31SS steering

Originally Posted by hp500efi
Guys, did Sonic offer just external steering on the 31SS or were they ALL full hydraulic to the helm? or was full hydraulic to helm an option? What brand steering system did they offer on the 2000's?

Did Sonic mount all the trim pumps, battery switches, etc on the firewall near rear bench seat? or did they mount them on the transom?

How is and where is the storage on the 31? Is there compartments under the v-berth? in cabin? Under rear bench?

How is access in the engine compartment? Winterizing etc..

Are new Gaffrig gauges easily installed to replace the Faria?

Anything else you care to add to the pro's and con's to the 31SS is appreciated.
I'll try to answer a few for ya:not sure on the 2000 but on my '98 the external steering does not go to the helm...my battery switches are under the rear seat while the trim pumps are mounted in the engine compartment on each side(gunwales)...as far as storage there is plenty,rear bench,sides under the seats,in the cabin under each long seat, under the sink, under the v-berth, above the galley(plenty of storage)...winterizing is easy but the motors are a little close together due the walk around deck(chore to change spark plugs but the walkaround deck is priceless)... gauges must be easy to r&r since either brand is an option(mine has the gaffrigs)...31 is an awesome ride and has a great cabin!I just bought a 386 and hope I like it as much as my 31
Old 04-02-2006, 01:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HP500, The gauge swap to Gaffrigs is easy, I did it on my 26, there is an access door in the head which allows you to access all wires on the backside of the dash (removing the porta-potti helps if it's the portable style). Not sure on storage under the V-berth due to the pull out filler on the 31 but my 26 has a large door under the cushion, there is storage under both couches and 2 cabinets, one under the galley sink and one to the left of it unless you have a fridge or a/c which can take up a cabinet. There is a small cabinet under the sink in the head. The cockpit has cabinets on both sides of the gunwales under the walk-around. And don't forget the "handy" dash mounted cooler. I beleive the batteries are under the rear bench which robs some space. Are you looking at something local? Steve
Old 04-02-2006, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up Re: 31SS steering

what "carboy said "...

except mine never came with hydro steering
I put a full helm system on it.....in short great boat!!!
(plugs are interesting to say the least )

hope this helps sk
Old 04-03-2006, 06:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New spring ride?