?'s on Battery Selectors on my 280

Notices

?'s on Battery Selectors on my 280

Old 06-29-2009, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?'s on Battery Selectors on my 280

Correct me if im wrong please.......
Its my understanding that each motor should run on its own battery, so one selector should be on 1, and the other on 2 when running both engines. When I have both the selectors on BOTH, both motors will have power, so will the cabin and everything else. When I have the both selectors on 1 both motors have power and so does the cabin, when both selectors are on 2, I have no power anywhere, but my trim still works. I should also note that both batteries are brand new and I have tested and charged both before dropping them in the boat. Is this normal or do Ihave something screwed up. When I am anchored I like to turn 1 battery off so I know I will always have a least one fully charged battery ready to go when I ready to call it a day. Thanks for your help, this boat is new to me and Im still learning it.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:01 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

You could run any combination on the 28SS that I had.
There must be something wired incorrectly on yours.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by wet_rat
see if this link helps

http://gator49.hostgator.com/~zeromy...roducts_id=148

clink on instructions and it gives you various ways to rig the switches
Nice call on this info, now I just have to figure it out. But unless im mistaken I should be able to start both engines from either battery.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:27 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SUN-CHASER
Nice call on this info, now I just have to figure it out. But unless im mistaken I should be able to start both engines from either battery.
Correct. I would use an two Isolators as well. I would wire it so + on the first battery was wired to the #1 on the Perko, + on the second Battery wired to #2 on the Perko and the Common on the Perko wired to both starters. Simular to Diagram #2 But only using 1 Perko Switch. (2 isnt really needed however, you do have more control with 2)

One isolator from Port Alternator to both batteries and the other isolator from the starboard alternator to both batteries.

That way you could always keep it on position #1 on the Perko and it would only use that battery but at the same time while running it would charge both batteries so, the spare / emergency battery will always be charged. No matter if one or both motors are running.

If you don't use isolators you could wire each charge post off the alternators to each battery. However if one alternator died, one battery wouldnt get charged.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Well after looking over the diagrams posted above I realized that the boat is wired so that either switch can run either batt. I checked my cables and connections finding nothing. The last thing i thought it would be is the Switch itself, (which it was). What I found was this, I turned the ignition switch on the dash to both motors on, and then I began to slowly move my perco switch. On the Port switch the power is engaged before you actually feel the click in the selector. By the time you do feel the selector you have now actually cut the power. In other words the switch is off and power comes on before it should, and off before it should. Now I just need to replace the switch. Thanks for all the help, you guys know your stuff.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:41 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SUN-CHASER
Well after looking over the diagrams posted above I realized that the boat is wired so that either switch can run either batt. I checked my cables and connections finding nothing. The last thing i thought it would be is the Switch itself, (which it was). What I found was this, I turned the ignition switch on the dash to both motors on, and then I began to slowly move my perco switch. On the Port switch the power is engaged before you actually feel the click in the selector. By the time you do feel the selector you have now actually cut the power. In other words the switch is off and power comes on before it should, and off before it should. Now I just need to replace the switch. Thanks for all the help, you guys know your stuff.
Good good .. Glad you found out your problem and should be an easy fix.