502 Mag Mpi Running Bad >

502 Mag Mpi Running Bad

Notices

502 Mag Mpi Running Bad

Old 08-10-2009, 10:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 502 Mag Mpi Running Bad

Got the boat three days ago 1998 Sonic Prowler 502 MAG MPI, and already having problems. Boat ran strong and great on a 45 min sea trial. Got the boat home and ran a good weekend until I hit some pretty good ways giving the boat a good workout. After hitting the first few rollers the boat started to miss. after about 20 to 30 minutes of working the throttle I finally got the boat up and running without missing, this was in calm water. Ran for the rest of the day no problems, but was calm water. Today get the boat out and run a good 10 minutes calm water, no problems, then pass a 50 footer throwing some good rollers and as soon as I hit them engine starts missing. When I say missing I mean it will not get over 3000 to 3500 RPM, and you hear the motor "choking" out. Strong smell of gas out of exhaust. As long as the water is calm no problems but as soon as I hit some waves the motor starts choking out. PLEASE HELP!!! point me in the correct direction. Check plug wires, GOOD, checked fuel/water separator, GOOD. It is just crazy that it only does it when you hit rough water.....
Old 08-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Possibly a Fuel pressure problem or a restriction in the tank for your fuel supply...LT
Old 08-11-2009, 12:20 AM
Z06
Registered

Have it scanned for codes.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First check the main wiring plug on the back of the engine. Undo the clamp, remove plug and reset.

I had issues with my 502mpi's that ended up being sensor related. When I finally blew it up I switched to carbs. I'll see if I can find the paperwork for what was done to mine.

But in the mean time find someone you trust to scan for codes and see if they are willing to go out with you with the scan tool.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 45sonic
First check the main wiring plug on the back of the engine. Undo the clamp, remove plug and reset.

I had issues with my 502mpi's that ended up being sensor related. When I finally blew it up I switched to carbs. I'll see if I can find the paperwork for what was done to mine.

But in the mean time find someone you trust to scan for codes and see if they are willing to go out with you with the scan tool.
I like Carbs too hit it with a hammer and it will get you home
Old 08-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

x2 on checking the main plug. There may also be water in the bottem of the fuel tank. take a fuel sample and check the fuel pressure, especially if you can do it while its running bad.

My first bet is the plug though.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:05 PM
Registered

Float is cracked and has sunk. Very common problem.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Put down the vodka and cranberry, its a 502mpi, no carbs.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:52 PM
Registered

I replaced the fuel/water filter this morning and dumped the contents into a clear container, and I had water in the fuel. My first ROOKIE mistake was the first time it happend raising the hatch and letting someone else check all the plug wires, of course they said "they are all fine". While changing the filter I went all around the engine checking the wiring and sure enough a plug wire was completley off of the plug. put it back on and running good, although it was calm water, and when I say calm I mean glass (on the TN river). The real test will be this weekend when the big cruisers get out and it gets rough. I believe that was the problem though. Thanks for the input, Ill post the results of the weekend hopefully good with no problems. If it starts again I will just have to wait until I can get plugged up to the computer back home, thinking it will be fuel pressure.

Last edited by kwooley; 08-11-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by GO4BROKE
Put down the vodka and cranberry, its a 502mpi, no carbs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.