Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Sonic
Looked at '02 358 at Lab Marine and..... >

Looked at '02 358 at Lab Marine and.....

Notices

Looked at '02 358 at Lab Marine and.....

Old 01-03-2010, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looked at '02 358 at Lab Marine and.....

would rate it as average to above average.

Stopped by last Wednesday to look it over. Could not run any electrical features or see the engines since the batteries were dead. Barry, at Lab Marine, took me to the boat and said have at it and walked away. Not much interest on his part to sell or demo anything. I guess repos do that to you. I guess his only interest is the monthly storage fee the bank is paying.

Speaking of the bank, Barry said they had 4 bids on the boat and rejected them all. 25K, two at 40K and one at 45K. According to Barry they have drawn the line at 50K and will not go lower. I asked Barry if a trailer came with the boat and he did not know. Is going to call the bank and verify. I told him that is a hard boat to sell without a trailer and I'm guessing a new one is 7K to 10K. So I told him before I would even consider the boat a trailer would have to come with it for 50K. Waiting to hear back from him.

I'm also want to contact the bank directly and enlighten them on some things they apparently are not aware of they would need to do if they are going to be hard over on $50k and expect me to pay 50K for it. Did not ask Barry about this. My bad!

Here is my assessment of what I saw. I'm sure I missed some Sonic stuff since I'm currently a 22 Scarab owner, LOL.

EXTERIOR: Very good condition. No gel coat dings at all and no piant chalking. Looked like it had never been on a trailer. No bunk scuffs at all on bottom. The only bad thing was the old scum line from the last time it was in the water is still onthe boat. How can somebody do that to this boat. Anyway, some very minor decal dings but really have to look close to see. All decals are correct and in very good condition. All chrome hardware in very good condition. No corrosion or rust stains. Did see on starboard engine compartment vent paint chips from apparent pier hit. Got the same thing on my Scarab. Damn pier bolts!

COCKPIT: as with the rest of the boat, it REALLY needs a good cleaning. Sorry to see this boat out in the weather without a cover. Cover balled up in cabin. Carpet is intact but needs to be replaced. Seats, bolsters and engine cover are in good shape. No rips or tears or cracking. Has 3" by 3" square stress crack that has actually lifted off the surface at cabin entrance on driver side and visible single crack on passenger side. Instrument cluster looked to be in good condition. Did not see any moisture in the gages and they all appeared correct. Does have Garmin GPS and marine radio.

CABIN: Looked to be in good condition but needs a cleaning especially the head, frig and microwave. Interior upholstery in very good condition. Shore power analog meter needs to be remounted. Carpet needs replacing. Did see shore power cable. Before I would buy I would need to verify AC, frig, microwave and head all works.

MOTORS/OUTDRIVES: 316 hrs on starboard motor and 372 on port. Again could not get rear hatch up. I know there is a way but did not know how and did not have the time. Controls work good and smooth. Outdrives are brand new. Did not see any props. K-planes, dual steering and exhaust tips all looked to be in very good condition. Everything was very tight.

Ed
Old 01-03-2010, 09:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

thats funny i spoke to somebody on this site and said they already bought it ?
Old 01-04-2010, 05:13 AM
Registered

Lab Marine has it as sale pending on their site..... trailer was the deal breaker for me...

Thanks for the overall review though!
Old 01-04-2010, 06:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by East Coast B
Lab Marine has it as sale pending on their site..... trailer was the deal breaker for me...

Thanks for the overall review though!
Yeah, same here. Need a new or good used trailer that meets my approval and not a POS as I have a feeling may be offered. Will probably know something in the next week or two. I have the funds just need to negotiate with the bank.

Ed
Old 01-04-2010, 09:31 AM
Registered

The drives were new in 2007, I got the serial numbers and called.

I was one of the offers and they were supposed to get back to me with trailer pricing after the new year but it looks like they got what the bank wanted. Judging from the posts "Props for a 358 w/496 HO's" and "Trailer for 358" member mbccenter is or knows the new owner.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

yeah sent him an e-mail sounds like he is the new owner.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

It was suposed to be me but now Lab called me and said the bank is backing out of the deal and wants 55k. That is just to much for this boat in the condition with no trailer. I hate when people back out of a deal. There are a lot of deals on boats now so I am back to looking for another Sonic or Fountain SC.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Registered

Anyone have info on what happened to the drives? If everything is working, adding a trailer, it's still a good deal for someone getting into a 358 which also has AC and power bolsters, most other options from what it sounds..
Old 01-04-2010, 01:26 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

If it had a trailer I would be all over it but without and all that messing around dosn't seem worth if with 496's in it. There have been some better ones in that price range.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Registered

Other 358's out there in this price range? Got any links to them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.