Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Sonic
Sea toilet inlet/outlet positioning??? >

Sea toilet inlet/outlet positioning???

Notices

Sea toilet inlet/outlet positioning???

Old 01-06-2010, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sea toilet inlet/outlet positioning???

Hi to all you Sonic owners out there and anyone who has any dealings with Sonics. I am new to owning a Sonic and have just got a 2003 Prowler. So far have been out in her once and am realy impressed by it.

Anyway to the point I am doing some work to it and am in the process of fitting a sea toilet. Just wondering if anyone could advise me the best positioning for the skin fittings.

Also fitting some billet 28" tabs and have noticed that Sonic have fitted the original Bennet tabs down level with running surface. I am no expert regarding this but all the comments I see regarding position would suggest they should go 3/4" to an 1" upwards.

All advise greatly appreciated - thanks in advance

Simon
Old 01-06-2010, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd advise you to make certain you have a holding tank installed before you go too far. My '03 31SS does not.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Registered

If you have a holding tank, then it's an easy install. If you don't, it can be done, but it's not easy. Sonic has a retro tank they can sell you, but getting it in there ISN'T easy!

I ran one hose straight out the back/aft of the toilet and then one into the port bulkhead. If plumbing into the freshwater tank system, be sure to use an antisiphon valve which you can easily mount behind the dashboard area. Recommend using the freshwater hookup. Electric push button gets mounted near sink area.

One of the best installs you can do! No more messing with a porta potti!
Old 01-06-2010, 06:10 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Plum_Crazy
I'd advise you to make certain you have a holding tank installed before you go too far. My '03 31SS does not.
I thought all 31ss had holding tanks.

There are a lot of new rules about marine heads.
My 31ss does not have a J-valve; therefore, all waste
goes into the holding tank. You have to have a
pump put to empty the holding tank.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:40 PM
Registered

After a certain year, they started putting the tanks in all the boats. That's what Bruce had told me anyway... suprised an 03 wouldn't have it in...
Old 01-06-2010, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by myturn
I thought all 31ss had holding tanks.
Nope, I got nothin'. I thought a pump out toilet would be a nice feature, but I don't need it bad enough to go through all the trouble. I haven't even used the Porta-potti, yet.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:33 AM
Registered

My turn is correct.... I did not install the fitting on the underside of boat to exhaust the contents of the tank. Only useful if your several miles off the coast, else it CAN'T be exhausted that way on ANY inland waterway. I only plumbed it to the holding tank. So yes, you will have to empty it through the fitting on the starboard walkway. Using the blue stuff for waste tanks to break down the contents, I used one of those shaker hoses to siphon it out and down the drain. I've heard persons using shopvacs. Depends what you have available to get rid of it.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by simon1401

Also fitting some billet 28" tabs and have noticed that Sonic have fitted the original Bennet tabs down level with running surface. I am no expert regarding this but all the comments I see regarding position would suggest they should go 3/4" to an 1" upwards.
Probably should have mentioned that I live in the Uk so our regulations are slightly different. Still all very useful information guys thanks for that.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom regarding the trim tabs?
Old 01-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Registered

My tabs on the 31ss were not flush with the bottom of the boat. I'd say about 3/4" up...