Scary Day >

Scary Day

Notices

Scary Day

Old 03-20-2010, 11:24 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Scary Day

We had a little excitement today. I was working on the boat in the shop around 12:30 this afternoon and looked out the window to see my back field on fire. My neighbor apparently lost control of the branches he was burning and a grass fire took off quickly. The snow just finished melting off this week, so I was shocked the grass burned so well. About 90% of what you see blackened in the pics is on my property. Only the very narrow strip of burned ground in the far right is on his land. The fire dept. took about 30 minutes to arrive as we live about 9 miles from the nearest town. The fire was coming toward the house fast, so I got out the hose and stopped it. Just as the fire trucks showed up, about 4 of the fir trees on the left side were in flames and they stopped the fire about half way up. Hopefully, they will survive. I was worried that the fire would rapidly spread up the tree line to the house and jump about 30' to the deck as it was windy.

Unfortunately, this incident is likely the end of any friendship with my neighbor. I purchased my 10 acres from him 9 years ago. He never once came to talk to me or provide an explanation. I left him a message asking him to call me. When he did, he was very defensive and actually had the nerve to say I owed him an apology because I said "we're gonna lose some trees". He was busy fighting the fire and didn't need to hear my b i t c hing, he said. The guy is nuts! Needless to say, I told him to F-off.

Don't worry, the boat was never in harm's way!

Old 03-21-2010, 07:47 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not let that bother me... neighbors are precious

I usually have a nice bonfire and always enjoy my neighbors coming over to shoot the $hit with...

Old 03-21-2010, 07:50 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

seriously, your lucky things did not get worse...try and mend the relationship
Old 03-21-2010, 08:14 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like my neighbors way of thinking. Everyone is at fault except him. Good luck with ignoring him. We have had to do that for years now. Glad you had no real damage!
Old 03-23-2010, 10:56 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

WOW! You got very lucky. I was a VFF for 10 years, and you could have lost everything in moments given wind, slope, and timing.

Whew! Nice work!

Your only other choice would have been to get the truck out and do some donuts in the grass to thin out the fuel (grass). It's much easier with a tractor/blade/bucket/skidsteer, but I've seen it done with a truck before.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:43 PM
Registered

Somehow I don't feel lucky. But, you're probably right. I surveyed the trees yesterday and found that about 15 sustained substantial burns. I just hope they survive. I really don't want to get into a battle over the cost of removal and replacement with my neighbor. The guy has no money, anyway.

Last edited by Plum_Crazy; 03-23-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:17 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

It may be in your best interest to get your insurance company involved now. That way they can pay for the damage and then go after his homeowners insurance.

It will be very difficult to prove the fire origination when you find out some of the trees died. Even the first rain will compromise things.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
It may be in your best interest to get your insurance company involved now. That way they can pay for the damage and then go after his homeowners insurance.

It will be very difficult to prove the fire origination when you find out some of the trees died. Even the first rain will compromise things.
The Fire Marshall came and interviewed my neighbor and saw the point of origin. I should be able to get the report. Plus, I took a bunch of pics.