26 Prowler >

26 Prowler

Notices

26 Prowler

Old 06-07-2014, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 26 Prowler

I'm looking to pull the trigger on a prowler soon. Can anyone give me the good/not so good on them? I realize they aren't the speed demon but I'm not looking for that. A quick cruise speed and to get up and off the water. After beating my wife up in my Donzi 18c for many years she deserves a break
Old 06-08-2014, 07:44 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

They are a nice boat. Huge cabin for 26'. Handles rough water well, built like a brick.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:55 PM
Registered

I looked at a 26 sonic very clean nothing wrong with it flew 1/2 way across country to see it. IT PORPOISED REALLY BAD. The only way to get it stop was to have the tabs down and trim the drive up. If anything upset the boat like a wave or a boat wake you had to re-trim everything again. I asked around people said the boat had hook / thats just the way they are / to much weight in one area of boat ( boat was empty just some lines and life jackets) or the drive was to low. So go for a test ride and see how it rides at cruise speed not just wide open .I called a guy who was selling a brand new unrigged 26 hull on boat trader on line, he claimed to be the factory he said some of the hulls came out of the mold to fast and developed hook,and if the original owner complained when they bought it they would have fixed it. Hope this helps
Old 06-12-2014, 07:07 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by 24sb
I looked at a 26 sonic very clean nothing wrong with it flew 1/2 way across country to see it. IT PORPOISED REALLY BAD. The only way to get it stop was to have the tabs down and trim the drive up. If anything upset the boat like a wave or a boat wake you had to re-trim everything again. I asked around people said the boat had hook / thats just the way they are / to much weight in one area of boat ( boat was empty just some lines and life jackets) or the drive was to low. So go for a test ride and see how it rides at cruise speed not just wide open .I called a guy who was selling a brand new unrigged 26 hull on boat trader on line, he claimed to be the factory he said some of the hulls came out of the mold to fast and developed hook,and if the original owner complained when they bought it they would have fixed it. Hope this helps
The person referenced in this post is not correct. I can speculate on who/when that was; but I won't. Suffice to say, they were not in the know.

The 26 Sonic does not have a hook. It has a notched transom and some rocker. It does better in rougher water vs. flat water.
Real scoop here:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...porpising.html
and here:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...8-prowler.html

I would also pay close attention to any 2002/2003/2004 Sonic as that is the timeframe of the Richard Hewitt factory ownership years (of corner cutting) resulted a handful of boats with poor layups when they were learning the Infusion Process. There are more posts on this topic here on OSO as well.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:21 PM
Registered

It all depends on what you are looking for and why I think. This is my first year with mine. I had a few stipulations when deciding what to purchase. 1) Had to be tow able with current truck. 2) Wanted a single. 3) Had to fit in my 32 foot barn. I also wanted what I feel is the best built boat for the money and what I could get my money back out of. I also plan on doing our local poker runs. For what I wanted I think it is perfect. The weight makes it seem bigger than it is. At slower cruising speeds with constant throttle trim positions are finicky or it will porpoise. Who cares if you have to have the tabs down at cruise speed for it to stop. Under power it is a non issue. Mine also has a whipple on it and it seems pretty happy right in the 60-65 range. If I could have I definitely would have went bigger, at least to the 31. But its just me an my girl, no kids and room is not that important. Easily manageable on the smaller finger lakes of upstate NY and will be perfectly fine on the great lakes as well. Plus, who wants a Baja or a Fountain or one of the other more common brands.. They are a dime a dozen! Do a search on issues with stringers, rotted transoms, or anything hull related with Sonic and let me know what you come up with!
Old 06-13-2014, 08:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I would also pay close attention to any 2002/2003/2004 Sonic as that is the timeframe of the Richard Hewitt factory ownership years (of corner cutting) resulted a handful of boats with poor layups when they were learning the Infusion Process. There are more posts on this topic here on OSO as well.
Listen to what he said I watched my 03 crumble and fall apart. The gell cracked over the entire boat including the cabin, I was told it was the year of the boat. I called the factory and was told tough **** we didnt own the company at time it was made. Besides the gell problem and the porposing I realy liked the boat and would purchase another Sonic just not the year models listed by Sydwayz.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:00 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by 03 SONIC
Listen to what he said I watched my 03 crumble and fall apart. The gell cracked over the entire boat including the cabin, I was told it was the year of the boat. I called the factory and was told tough **** we didnt own the company at time it was made. Besides the gell problem and the porposing I realy liked the boat and would purchase another Sonic just not the year models listed by Sydwayz.
To be clear: NOT EVERY boat was affected and I'm not throwing rocks at every Sonic of that era.
I believe they started with the hull only of the 31SS and 386 with Infusion. Then they started phasing in the decks and liners; and eventually the entire boat line.

Richard Hewitt bought Sonic because he wanted the building, not the boat line; and it showed. I'd much rather a Jay Ross built Sonic when it comes to the older models.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 06-13-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:11 PM
Registered

I placed an order for a 31ss in October of 2001 with Frank Marchone. It was completed in May of 2002. It was one of the first infused hulls. (Jay Ross boat). this boat came with a 2003 Serial number. I still have the bill of sale. Jim Diesel owns this boat now and can vouch for this. I had no hull problems with the fiberglass work on this boat. Brian is right the 31 and 38 were the guinea pigs. Just spend the money to have your future investment surveyed.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:50 AM
Registered

I'm not built for speed anymore. I bought the boat for the comfortable ride it is known for in rough water. I have a '99 and it is a great boat compared to the Scarab 22 I had before it.

Just replaced the power (see sig) with a 540 Dart Stroker and new (not reman) updated lower unit. Going in the water this weekend for the first time since new power. Going to turn a B1 24P but will probably need a B1 26P. Anybody got a used B1 26P RH they want to get rid of?

About Prowler porpoising. I have K planes and this is how mine responded with the OEM 502. However, the OEM 502 was configured with the same Dart aluminum heads and IMCO aluminum exhaust that are on the 540 Dart Stroker. I had no problem runnung 60 MPH (GPS) with the K planes full up and the O/D trimed. No porpoising. When I would start to slow down or go into a fairly hard turn, it would start to porpoise. But I now anticipate that and I just add a little K plane or kick the O/D down and no porpoising.

Ed
'99 Sonic Prowler 260
540 CNC Motorsports Racing Short Block
Dart PRO-1 Aluminum Heads/SS Intakes/Inconel Exhausts
Comp Roller Cam: .547/.547 Lift – 230°/236° Duration – 112° Overlap
Comp Cam Roller Lifters/ Roller Rockers/Push Rods (.375")
Cometic SS Head Gaskets
ARP Main/Rod/Head Studs
Hardine 10 Quart Racing Oil Pan
Increased Cooling Capacity Oil Cooler
Remote Oil Filter (Transom)
IMCO Aluminum Exhaust/SS Gaskets
Hardine Polished SS Risers
Complete MSD Ignition/Cooling Fan
Denso Iridium Plugs/MSD Plug Wires
TPiS 68mm Throttle Body
K&N/Hardine Marine/PWR Air Intake
ECM Upgrade
San Juan FWC
RACOR Water Separator
Old 06-17-2014, 06:06 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I'm still thinking if I want to sell mine, I just got it done after almost 3 yrs of working on it. Been in it for the second time last Sunday, now and the kids want to go fishing. No No No not in this boat I told them. I guess I should have gotten a center console. I can't win for lose'n.