31ss that runs 80+???? >

31ss that runs 80+????

Notices

31ss that runs 80+????

Old 10-30-2002, 07:11 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't seem to be as fast as I would expect with that much power. I know the x dimension was raised in 97 or 98 so perhaps yours is a little low. What props do you run? Your money would be better spent on 3 blades than on labbing. My bravo 1's are labbed and I gained no speed. The shortie imcos would probably be my next step. Maybe 2", if thats too much you can always use spacers to lower them again. Actually before anything else you might want to have the bottem blueprinted to be sure thats straight. All the power in the world won't help if you have a hook.
Old 10-30-2002, 08:07 PM
JROMY2

So how fast would a 2003 31ss with twin 496 HO whipplecharged run......

Old 10-30-2002, 08:25 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Broke I'm running 23 mirage 3 blades now at 5100rpm...I emailed the factory and they said I would benifit from the shorties.....but how much who knows????
Old 10-31-2002, 06:00 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

I'm waiting for Maxx to start cutting lowers for customers way cheaper than Imcos.....
Old 10-31-2002, 07:25 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Guys,

I've had/have several that run over 80. The new ones with 500's do it easy. As some may know I had one built with 575sci's. (Recently installed a set of superchillers as well). Still trying to get it dialed in but that biatch should run mid 90's. It's back at the factory now and if interested I can tell you what all we do with it.

I've tried the sportmaster 2" shorties and it blew out, added the spacer and for what ya' get it isn't worth it. On older hull designs maybe...but I'd try the props first. One thing though...that hull still handles well at those speeds.
Old 10-31-2002, 08:13 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Dano my boat is a 1993 so I dont think were compairing apples to apples have you ever worked with an older hull?I'm not going to buy a new boat to run 80.....I've emailed the factory and they told me the Imco shorties would be a good idea.......but were pretty vauge about gains.....I'm making almost 500 hp????any Ideas????
Old 10-31-2002, 08:29 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Dyno,

As far as drive height have it measured as is at trim against your hull and calculate the attack angle. Take your current set-up and calculate your prop slip %.

On a 93 model shortening the drive height will probably net some gain in FW applications if the cup of the prop is to low. If your pushing that amount of ponies (I assume at crank?) do you know the HP translation at the prop? The biggest help is going to come from the attack angle and the prop. That boat was set-up for SW ocean use not neccessarily to acheive maximum speed. On the older boats I did find 3 blade props delivered better top end speed. A lot of times when dialing in those last few MPH's it's a hit and miss thing (gets rather expensive). Feel free to contact me and I'll fill ya' in on some of the things we've done.
Old 10-31-2002, 09:11 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

woe.........you lost me Dude!attack angle?could you walk me through the measurments?????and give me the formula for slip....
Old 10-31-2002, 10:01 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Dude...gimme a number I'll call ya.
Old 10-31-2002, 11:16 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Working now cant get to a phone .......leave me your number or PM it to me and I'll get in touch...I'll be home after 4:00 616-786-3829

Quick Reply: 31ss that runs 80+????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.