Help buying a 26 Prowler >

Help buying a 26 Prowler

Notices

Help buying a 26 Prowler

Old 02-11-2019, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help buying a 26 Prowler

I am looking at a 1998 26 Prowler and being my first performance boat I have a few questions regarding what to look for. The boat is a '98 with a remanufactured 502 put in 20 hours ago. It has a bravo drive, tabs, and no hydraulic steering. Hull has 550 original hours. Cosmetically the boat needs a good detail inside and out, which is something I can definitely do myself. Regarding the hull and mechanical:

Does this boat have any wood (transom, stringers, floor)?
What should I be looking for in terms of service records for the drive? Should it have had work done by now at 550 hours?
Is there anything special that I should be looking for with this boat compared to others?
Old 02-24-2019, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes do it,pull the trigger,550 hours?just do a compression test,if it floats is ready lol
Old 03-09-2019, 06:09 AM
Charter Member #1472
Charter Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

we've had our 98 since brand new, I don't think I have had to tighten one screw on the boat. haven't seen one stress crack in the hull. nothing rattles or squeaks. still the original drive. and i'll tell yah i run the heck out of that boat. I like to get air borne off the back of a big cruiser. I've the boat aired out so much one time that I had the sea water pump dry and had to add water to the block. I have a 540 cu in in in it with a 420 mega-blower, bassett headers all the goodies and have been happy with the boat. i can cruise at 60 with no tabs. i have a table in the cuddy so you can sit and have lunch. if you test drive and you like it, you shouldn't have any regrets.