Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Sonic
Hydraulic steering >

Hydraulic steering

Notices

Hydraulic steering

Old 01-19-2022, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

The best upgrade you can do to your boat is go full hydraulic steering. Not a 1/2 hydraulic system, not a tab upgrade and not adding more power. I will never own a cable steering boat again. It will always be my first upgrade. Just went through this with a friend. 38' Fountain 80 mph, 380 tabs, and cable steering. Kind of a handful to drive at any speed, added 1/2 system and it tamed it down. Added full system and now you can go vacuum the cabin and the boat will drive itself. My Panther slowed down a couple mph after I added full hydraulic steering because the boat was planted in the water instead of chine walking and purposing. Remember loose is fast! lol
The following users liked this post:
SabrToothSqrl (01-19-2022)
Old 01-19-2022, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie
The best upgrade you can do to your boat is go full hydraulic steering. Not a 1/2 hydraulic system, not a tab upgrade and not adding more power. I will never own a cable steering boat again. It will always be my first upgrade. Just went through this with a friend. 38' Fountain 80 mph, 380 tabs, and cable steering. Kind of a handful to drive at any speed, added 1/2 system and it tamed it down. Added full system and now you can go vacuum the cabin and the boat will drive itself. My Panther slowed down a couple mph after I added full hydraulic steering because the boat was planted in the water instead of chine walking and purposing. Remember loose is fast! lol
This x 100.

I did an IMCO Uni Mount on my Formula 292. Twin Bravo 1 drives behind Merc. 350s.
Fully hydro from helm to back. Installed by me, myself, and I.
Can't say enough good about it. Before you'd fight the wheel all damn day and it would hook right if you ever let go, and I was already looking at new boats.

Now with the IMCO steering, it holds any position, it drives dead strait, you can use your pinky to spin the boat on a dime. It should be legally required that any boat over 300HP get full hydro steering. It's like nothing else. Cruising is effortless now, WOT it's on rails. Not a cheap add-on that's for sure, but worth every penny. Now, I love my boat again, and plan to keep it as long as I can. Feel MUCH safer running, docking, etc.
Old 08-03-2022, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Honestly, bigger trim tabs might your boat track straight and have fewer steering issues. I have been looking into this for my boat recently.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
Happy boating!

Blog: Outboard pulls hard to the right
Old 08-04-2022, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

Full hydraulic steering is the single best improvement you can do to a boat. I would never own a boat without it again.