Sonic v. Outerlimits >

Sonic v. Outerlimits

Notices

Sonic v. Outerlimits

Old 11-02-2003, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sonic v. Outerlimits

As a matter of curiousity, would anyone with the opportunity to buy their Sonic again or a comparably sized and equipped Outerlimits for the same dough still choose their Sonic or switch to the Outerlimits?
Old 11-02-2003, 06:51 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

If you can find an OL for the same $$ as a Sonic, I would want to know what was wrong with it. They are generally way more expensive. I'v never been in an OL so I don't have an opinion as to which is better. It would have to have as good driving manners as my 31SS.
Attached Thumbnails Sonic v. Outerlimits-postable-go-broke.jpg  
Old 11-02-2003, 08:09 PM
Registered

I know OLs are way more money than Sonics. I guess I'm wondering if the general opinion is that they're actually worth more.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:00 PM
Registered

I have a 2000 42 Sonic and I will be getting rid of it when I find the right deal on a 37-42 OL. No other boat has what I like about the Sonic's (room) and is as fast or faster than all the top V-hulls out there except the OL.
I want 120 mph with stand up head A/C and a cabin that I can almost stand up in.

I know OL customers put big HP motors in them and get high MPH out of them but the same motors in the other fast V's are still 5-15 mph slower and a lot smaller cabin. Yes they are costly but if you want the best it will cost you. You will find you don't lose as much on resale. The only cheap OL's you see out there are some of the first one's they built and sold cheap, then they saw they were loosing their a$$ and needed to up the price or make the boat not as nice. If you can build the best why would you not want to?.

Sonic's are great boats, just not as nice as an OL. Will you notice or need all the little things that are better on the OL, who knows. The only 2 reasons for me is room and speed. The only other boat close is Nor-tech a little nicer cabin, a little slower speed, about the same price.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:10 PM
Registered

i have a 28 sonic and love it. the reason i bought the sonic over the OL is, it was $360,000 CHEAPER!!! Honestly, OL is the best of the best and if i could afford one i would buy one. Sonic is right up there when it comes to getting the most for your money. In regards to the question are OL's worth it, the answer is quite simple. If you can afford it yes they are worth it. If you have to refinance your house and dip into you 401k to pay for the fuel, then no there not.Like i said i love my sonic and until i can afford an OL (hopefully someday) i will always own a one.

Last edited by impulsive; 11-05-2003 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:12 AM
Registered

just my option

i would never by a ol unless all i wanted to do is run poker runs with it, and to me thats a waste of money regardless if i could afford it, i love the sonic and would never buy another boat, sonic gives you the best of both worlds. speed with plenty of comfort. 6 foot head room and plenty of amenities. sonic now has 2 100++mph boats and they are have the cost of a ol. its all what you want to do with the boat , if you got plenty of money to burn and want to go fast and don't need the big cuddy buy a ol, if you want the best of both worlds and pay half the cost i strongly surge-st a sonic.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:33 PM
Registered

Lapse of Reason: If we put our two boats together we'll have the first Sonic 42 Cat. Looks like we even have the same paint.
Anyway, thanks for all the responses. I think we've covered this subject.
I'm definitely getting the O.L. if I win the lottery.
Old 11-08-2003, 06:07 PM
Registered

Lapse, you do make some good points. Power for power the OL will walk the Sonic, even in the rough stuff. I do not however understand the cabin room comment. You cannot stand up in a 37 unless you are less than 5'2". In fact, the new AT 37 AVH has more head room than the 37 OL. It will also be very competitive with the OL on an equal equipment, power basis.

The Fiore's have done a excellent job of developing a mystique about their boats. The high price and exclusivity it drives is one reason. The other is the very high HP the buyers typically put in the boats. And why not. If you are going to spend $300,000 for a boat, why not go ahead and spend another $20,000-$40,000 to get some mongo motors.

They are great boats as are Sonics. What gives them the extra punch from an image standpoint is the price and the exclusivity it drives.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:41 AM
TeamSonic42

Good points & comments by all....

Both are great boats, but the OL cost is out of the limits of most individuals pockets. That big power also costs lots to maintain, not to mention fuel cost. Then there is the reliablity issue running that kinda power.

From a personal standpoint.... I wouldnt want all the hassels associated with running the kinda power it takes to run that fast. My 42 may not be the fastest thing out there, but it gives me one hell of a nice ride.

You can make a Sonic run well over a 100mph, just add the big power. I'm sure 120 is attainable in a 42 with the right power. I'm sure everyone knows about the 386 Full Tilt had with 900's that ran 106. So there is some fact based info. Put some 12-1500hp Sterlings in a bigger Sonic & she will fly. But honestly, how often are you or will push the engines to their max to run 120 ? It would be nice to have the capability, but running constantly or close to that speed is hard on the power. Just my .02.....

LOR, good luck with your search. Hope you find what you want.

Old 11-10-2003, 08:15 AM
Registered

I hear what you guys are saying about big motors. Let me clear some stuff up as to why I would be willing to put myself though this.

I will be doing all the maintenance on the motors myself, building and tuning race bike motors is what I do for a living and before that I did cars and trucks. If I blow one it will go back to who built it for a rebuild and at the end of every season for a freshen up.

When I bought my Sonic I towed it 45 minutes to the water every Friday and stayed out until Sunday night so the reliable power was the way to go. I have a wife and two kids that like to raft up and play with other kids or for my wife lay out. So the result is a 2000 boat with 170 hours on it. The only times I got to go rip it was the poker runs that me and the guy's did,my wife will only do the local ones. Now I live on the water my kids play with the jet ski's and the fishing boat. I only put ten hours on my boat this season mostly because of doing stuff around the new house.

Now the important part, my ego. I have been racing dirt bike's, 3 wheelers, 4 wheelers, road racing bikes and cars. I was lucky enough to have the talent to run up front and win in all that I raced. When I got into boats if you ran in the 70's you were in the top 10%. Now thats the norm for a twin engine boat. I hate getting my a$$ waxed in the poker runs I do now, I didn't even do any this year for that reason. Thats why I want to go with the big motors and an Outerlimits.

I do love my Sonic and will miss it, but I don't think no matter how much motor you put in it will hit 120 mph. I was in the only poker run Full tilt's 386 did on the Potomac river it was fast but was having problems keeping up with mid 90 mph boats. I'am sure it did 106 in the bay stripped down with a 1/4 tank of gas. But not when I saw it. If a Sonic was able to hit 120 somebody would have done it buy now. I don't think any non stepped hull has gone that fast.

Quick Reply: Sonic v. Outerlimits

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.