Need some help here

Old 03-13-2004, 06:14 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Need some help here

Can anyone help me out here?
Here are the facts.
I had a small crack in my cabin liner, nothing too serious however it bothered the hell out of me. Last winter I had it repaired, and the glass guy said he would make it stronger. Shortly after getting back in the water the crack reappeared, again nothing major. I figured I'd run the rest of the season and fix it again this winter. I ran the boat what we would call hard exactly once on a small local poker run. It behaved flawlessly it felt like someone was placing it back into the water gently everytime we caught air. I hit ONE roller that was between two waves directly midships. Upon striking this the hatch that closes over the cabin door broke, the windshield broke and that little crack turned into a major fissure.
Fast forward to now , the glass guy who repaired it last season has discovered the bulkhead is cracked, and is claiming owner abuse. You know what that means.....
I've called the Sonic plant and spoke with a gentelman there who asked me to E-mail him some pics of the damage, so he could help me detirmine if the problem was caused by the first repair , which I belive was done incorrectly. I belive it was done incorrectly because the space between the bulkhead and the cabin liner was filled with glass and resin by the glass guy, which it seeems has driven the liner back and up as evidenced by the damage. I have not heard back in several weeks , after many e-mails and phone calls. So I turn to you my fellow OSOers. If anyone knows a back door into the Sonic plant or you can reccomend some one who can help me out in the northeast please help.....Spring is on its' way!
Thanks
Joe
Old 03-13-2004, 06:34 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Show us some pics.
Old 03-13-2004, 07:07 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sorry here is one
Here you can see the yellow resin used to fill the formally open area.
Attached Thumbnails Need some help here-im000110small.jpg  
Old 03-13-2004, 07:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Here is one from the cabin side looking out to the cockpit
Attached Thumbnails Need some help here-im000104small.jpg  
Old 03-13-2004, 07:12 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Here is the hatch and the windshield
Notice how all the damage lines up from the point of the repair
Attached Thumbnails Need some help here-im000107small.jpg  
Old 03-13-2004, 07:15 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Last one looking through the hand hole on port side, crack in bulkhead is to the lower right.
Attached Thumbnails Need some help here-im000112small.jpg  
Old 03-13-2004, 08:14 AM
bn
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Call and talk to Richard or Bruce at the Sonic Factory, they are very helpful.

Are there any other glass shops in your area?

We have an EXCELLENT fiberglass repair place in our area. It's called Fast Forward and it's in Central NY, near Syracuse. You can call them at 315-676-3317 and ask for Scott or Matt and mention my name. They are sometimes there on Saturdays.

Last edited by bn; 04-03-2009 at 07:52 AM. Reason: .
Old 03-13-2004, 03:15 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right Brian, like anyone who doesn't know you could possibly pronounce your name! Fast Forward does excellent work and are honest.
I can't really tell what caused what from the pics, but I would recommend checking your stringers when its apart being fixed. Thats an awful lot of movement for a boat that isn't beat on.
It would be worth the drive to let Fast Forward fix it.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had the same thing happen to another 31 in our area. Tried to short route to repair it and had the same result you did. Like everyone before me. CALL SONIC and discuss your displeasure with Richard. It is a very involved repair and if not done right will result in major damage --- more than you have now. Sonic does not want the "no structural failure" to be compromised
Old 03-17-2004, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That damage definately looks structural. I had my fuel tanks replaced last summer and the glass guy was fantastic. The guy is independent but I hooked up with him through Falcon Marine in Hampton Bays Long Island. Falcon's # is 631-723-0794, ask for Jimmy and tell him the problem. Sean and Wes will agree this is a great place to go.

From Conn. it will be a pain in the ass to get their but I think it would be the right thing to do. You could take the ferry from New London, Im sure it won't be cheap, to Orient Pt, and Falcon is about 45 min from there. My house is about 10 Min. from Orient Pt. and would be happy to meet you there and take you the rest of the way. I need to check on the house anyway, haven't been there all winter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.